Problems with stock blower fan on Titan X

Daroller

Weaksauce
I'm hoping someone here can help me troubleshoot a problem I'm having with my system.

One of my Titan X blower fans no longer spins up until the card gets good and hot (GPU above 62c). When it does finally spin up it's usually after the card has been under load for 15+ minutes. It spins up to ~60%, then slows back down to 0. It will occasionally stay on for a few minutes at ~1100rpm, but it inevitably stops again.

Multiple monitoring suites show the fan receiving power and signal for 22% fan speed, but it does nothing. It doesn't even spin up when I manually set the fan to 100%.

The fan doesn't appear to bind, at least not any more than my "working" card; there is a a slight resistance at two points in the rotation, but otherwise it spins very freely. I've checked the fan connections, and they appear solid. The fan correctly reports its RPM when it's rotating.

I ordered some GPU 4pin -> 4pin PWM fan adapters, so I will be able to test the fan itself once those arrive.

Since the fan only spins up when the components below it get quite hot, is it possible I just need to re-solder some connections and it's done? Is there something else I can check?

Disclaimer: I am using EVGA Hybrid coolers on these cards. If I understand correctly the blower fan is basically cooling only the power delivery components.

The only replacement fans I can find come as complete stock cooler assemblies on EBay, and they work out to about $150.00 for me, so I'd like to avoid that. I am not particularly value conscious, but even I bristle at spending that much for a fan.

Thank you for reading this wall of text!

Subbed for outcome. Failed fan, failed fan wiring, or failed fan controller. I doubt reflashing the card helps, on the chance you saved the bios when brand new, but you could try.

I would just replace the EVGA shroud and stock fan with a Kraken G10 or Corsair HG10 N980 if it turns out to be an issue with the fan itself.

Sorry for the delay between updates, but it's road trip season. :D

Reflashing the card didn't make a difference, unfortunately. I'm waiting for the adapter cables so I can test the fan itself; I'll update when those arrive.

It's a $1000 card, RMA it is you think there is an issue.

I already voided the warranty by putting the hybrid cooler on, so either way I'll wind up paying to fix it. Given the choice I'd rather do it myself.

Back