Problems with routing/firewall

Stanley Pain

2[H]4U
Okay here's the layout of my network.

Comp A = router machine: Runnin ClarkConnect 2.1

It connects to another router which is connected to the internet.

The "internet" router has an IP of 192.168.0.1 (set to allow 192.168.0.250 to act as a DMZ).
This machine has an IP from that router of 192.168.0.250
This machine's LAN address is 192.168.0.100

Comp B = workstation:

It connects to Comp A and is assigned an IP of 192.168.0.50

Most network related connections work (WWW/FTP/Chat/etc). No problems "surfing the net"

Problems arrise with bittorrent though. BT seems to think I'm firewalled (yellow icon showing). I've tried forwarding the ports, and even totally disabling the firewall on the router. It still says that I am behind a firewall.

Can this be do to the strange routing I'm doing (2 routers)? If I run BT or any other server right on the router machine I have no problems, and everything runs great, just nothing on the workstation machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

You would need to forward the ports BT needs from router A to router B then from router B to your PC.

Originally posted by mjones73
You would need to forward the ports BT needs from router A to router B then from router B to your PC.

So even if I have both routers setup as a DMZ, i'd still have to forward the ports?

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

-- Just noticed that this crappy SMC router that is upstairs doesn't support port forwarding. Grrr....

I have the ports set open (6881-6999) and the 2nd router as DMZ...

You'd think it would work...

Played around with the SMC router a bit more. Got the ports forwarded now on the SMC router and on the ClarkConnect router box.

I'm having the range 6881 to 6999 forwared to all the internal IPs.

Still nadda.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Can I ask why your using two routers in the first place? Why not put a 3rd NIC in your ClarkConnect box and set up an orange zone for your internet facing machine and use it to route the rest of your network.

So even if I have both routers setup as a DMZ, i'd still have to forward the ports?

ClarkConnect doesn't have a DMZ setting like most small home routers if I remember correctly, you can set up a third NIC though to isolate your internet facing machine from your green network.

Of course I don't know how well BT works behind NAT in the first place compared to other sharing programs so someone else might be able to comment on that.

On better is how is the 2 router setup working in the first place when he is using IP addresses all in the *same* subnet.

Well I'm using 2 routers for a specific reason.

I do not have physical access to the first router. The router is my landlords, and he shares the inet connection between his computers, mine, and my flat mates.

He's not very network/computer savy, and the firewall setup on the router (actually the router doesn't allow you to disable the firewall feature). He said it's ok for me to set myself up on the DMZ.

My flat mate also wants a non firewalled connection (at least through the router). So I decided to setup a router box that is the DMZ on the first router, so that we both could run servers and whatnot from our respective computers.

Having the 2 routers on the same subnet isn't really a big problem, but it might be causing the routing issues. When I get home from work I'm going to try it on a 10 or 100 IP with a class A subnet just to keep things different.

I still don't see why it won't forward the proper ports.

Here's what I'm doing right now.

SMC Router forwarding ports to 192.168.0.250

192.168.0.250 forwarding ports to my machine (192.168.0.50 and 100).

Doesn't work.

Perhaps I should make the 2nd router a lower IP than the machines that connect to it?

or should I setup the 2nd internal network with a 10.x or 100.x IP range?

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Originally posted by BrkDncr
Buy a $10 switch. Hook router to switch. Hook pc's to switch.

Be happy.

I have a switch, how will that work just hooking all 3 to the switch?

Setup each computer with their own IP and point it to the main routers IP as a gateway?

I was also kinda hoping I could get this working (just for the sake of it) :)

Actually, I just would like to know why (if there's a technical reason) it's not working.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Got it working :)

Switched the internal network to a different subnet, no problems now.

Woo woo!

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Back