Problems with fresh Vista install

wfalcon

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I'm almost ready to give up on this thing. Figured I'd go ahead and make the move to Vista Ultimate x64 (from the 3 month WFP program), so I've got a fresh install with SP1 and updated drivers to go with it for the main rig in my sig. The problem comes in getting network connectivity. I can't ping anything on my network, not even the router. I have done many google searches and all attempts to fix this have failed thus far. So far, I've done the following:

Verified latest firmware for router - I read about changes to the way Vista handles DHCP addresses, but still don't understand the nuts and bolts so-to-speak. I'm running a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54.

Unchecked IPv6 for the NIC - Not using it anyway

Modified a couple entries in the registry - per the guidance from (this MS article)

Ensuring the network is set to Private vice Public in Vista

Static IP address vice DHCP

Disabling IPv4 Checksum, TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4 & IPv6) & UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4 & IPv6) - per the guidance from this TechNet posting

Ensuring the Windows Firewall is Disabled

No Norton Antiviral products are installed - I read about problems with those

Any other thoughts before I wipe this and go back to XP? :mad: :(

Are you using a network card or onboard ethernet?
Are u wired or wireless?
If you are using wired, first make sure that when u plug in the ethernet that there is a light lit in the back. If no light goes on when it is plugged in, you have a bad adapter or onboard.

Although this probably isn't the problem, unplug the router and connect directly to the modem and see if that fixes it, then we know where the problem is.

Okay, you're ripping apart the house when its probably something like the back door is open. Did you install the nVidia chipset drivers? Are you seeing the network port in device manager?

Roger - I have installed the 15.17 chipset drivers from Nvidia and I'm seeing the NIC in Device Manager. This is an onboard Marvell Yukon NIC, so it's wired. I do have a light, and have tried different Cat5 cables that I verified to work via another system on my network. I haven't tried plugging directly into the cable modem yet, so will give that a shot to eliminate the router as a potential issue.

Thanks.

Ok, I know this is a month old, but I got a new Hard Drive so I currently have one set with XP so I can at least operate, and the other set with Windows Vista SP1 - same rig, same problems so far. I've connected directly into the cable modem, recycled power, and still the same issue occurs. So I can probably rule the router out. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Ok, probably my last update on this topic, but I thought I would go ahead and share further findings - apparently this is a Marvell Yukon (onboard NIC) and Vista x64 issue. I've found multiple threads with others that have the same problem (but unfortunately no solution outside of a new NIC):

One thread here
Another Example

One thing that helped was installing and running a virtual in VMWare to verify that my router worked correctly. Have updated the BIOS and updated the Marvell Yukon drivers to the latest/greatest and still no love. Looks like it's time to kick this mobo to the curb.

Just get a 5 bucks Realtek based nic and problem solved..no need to replace motherboard yet :p

Back