Problems with Chilly1 modded Prometeia Mach 1

silent-circuit

[H]F Junkie
Fairly sure that's what this thing is -- it will hold -50C with no load, so I thought there was nothing wrong with it. I did not get a chance to mount it up until a couple hours ago (I've had it for a couple months since I bought it from another forum member here) and everything seemed fine at first.

It held -43C sitting at the Vista desktop with my X3220 at 3.6Ghz, that was fine.

Then I ran Prime95 Small FFTs... and the temps went up, and up, and up.

When it hit 0C it started flashing "HI" and cut itself and the computer off.

Can it simply not take the heat load? Does it need a re-gas? Have I wasted a good bit of money on something that's incapable of handling my hardware? Have I done something else wrong?

I was getting 65C load with a 2x120 radiator and a dedicated water loop on the quad at 3.6Ghz before, so I'm hard pressed to believe this unit can't take it... I was expecting higher OCs, not lower. This is insane.

While water will just heat up more, a vapor phase unit is designed for specific loads, you are exceeding ur units load handling abilities.

Thanks . I figured it out soon after posting here with the help of some people over on XS. The quad core is just too large a head load for it because it is using an old style single row condenser. Unfortunately I don't have the money to get a new condenser swapped in, or the tools and experience necessary to do it myself. It will be sold in the next few weeks for a loss, since I can't see any real use for it for me, but that's how it goes sometimes.

Back