Problems with Asus E45M1-i Deluxe

ZenDragon

[H]ard|Gawd
So I picked up an E45M1-I Deluxe for a fanless HTPC build, along with a 60GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD and 8GB of ram. Fairly simple system, went together well no issues there. However I am absolutely appalled at the WiFi performance. At best I get about 5mb/s up and down, horrible latency and general unexplained weird behavior. I have of course installed the most recent drivers from ASUS that I could find for the wireless card, not sure what else I could possibly do to troubleshoot this. Signal strength seems to be strong (checked with inSSIDer), everything else seems to be otherwise fine, just god awful slow and flaky. I am an experienced IT professional, but I am at somewhat of a loss here with these fully integrated systems. I can't just drop in a new NIC when one sucks.

I just need to figure out if I need to return the thing, or if this is my fault somehow. Any ideas of anything else I could check here?

Ok shortly after posting this, I remembered I had an old antenna array from an old Linksys "SRX" NIC that I had a while back. I took two antennas off of that and put them on the board and started getting 30mbps+! So, I figured I would post back here, for the record the antennas that come with this board are horrible. If you buy this board make sure you get some nice antennas for it. Glad I dont have to return this thing, not sure why I didnt think of that before! lol

Last edited:
Most of us junk the wireless card that comes on them in favor of an Intel wireless N card. Dramatic increase in performance.

Back