Problems with Age of Conquerors expansion

Swede88

Lurker
Recently, I met an old friend that I used to play AoC with and so I decided to reinstall AoE and the expansion AoC back on my comp. I downloaded all the patches, etc...but I am running into problems such as the game freezing.

Either in Multiplay or Single player this happens. I will start a map, see my town and start to build, etc... but then either the game freezes or something else happens. The game freezing happens the most and I have to reboot the comp to fix it. Some other things that have happened are getting a big lime green screen, or my monitor just goes straight into powersave mode, and I've also got an error message from my monitor stating something about the frequencies being out of range (It posted something like V: 18.5 and H: 19.6, which is out of my monitor frequency range according to the properties I see in SmartGart).

So I've done the standard things such as updating video, sound, and monitor drivers and disabling some game features, or messing with the firewall, anti-virus, etc...but nothing has worked. I'm not sure what's going on, but it seems like my monitor is not playing right, but it could be something with the video card...I'm not sure. I could use any help you can give.

System Specs:
Athlon 1.6ghz
Radeon 9600 Pro 128mb
Asus A7V600-X
Creative Labs Audigy 2
1gb DDR RAM (233?)
Maxtor 60gb HDD (IDE)
Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB

Updated the BIOS

Uninstalled/Reinstalled the game

E-mailed ATI...they said stuff that was rhetorical

I reformatted my HDD in March.

I'm running out of options...need suggestions. Is it a driver issue? I'm curious because WoW, BF 1942, etc... all run fine. I appreciate any input. Thanks in advance

Might try a AoE fansite -- they'd probably have more knowledge/experience with it. Kind of an old game for a "general topic" gaming forum to have a lot of in-depth knowledge of, I'm afraid.

Back