Problem viewing local computer from one pc while that same pc can be seen on the other pc

scgt1

Supreme [H]ardness
I think this is in relation to the Creators update.

I just did a fresh install on my daily/media streaming pc a few days ago. First thing I did was install the newest mobo drivers/software. Then I hit Windows update. At the end like an idiot I had the notice to use the upgrade assistant to install the Creators update. So instead of ignoring it I went ahead and did it. Along with that fired up my game rig and did it there also. I'm assuming the issue is because of the creators update but who knows since I just reinstalled win 10 pro on my daily. My sharing settings are all proper and I've manually gone through and shared the folders I want with everyone (private network). Because of the problems I'm having I reset ESET SS to default on both computers and went through line by line configuring them identically to each other on both computers.

Here is where the crazy shit is that I don't understand happens.

Daily computer
This PC/Network/Computer I have the wifi networked printer (Canon Memory) listed and My Game rig with the one folder I have manually shared to everyone showing once I open my game rig through network.

My game rig
This PC/Network/Computer I have my game rig listed and I can view the one folder I have shared with everyone and that's it. I should have my daily listed with about 10-12 different folders and it also doesn't show the printer (Canon Memory).

I was able to access my daily from my game rig just fine before. I'm not really sure if it's the creators update that caused this or not since I reloaded my daily and did the creators update on both computers at the same time. They are both running the exact same windows build and are fully updated. I've even had ESET's firewall set to interactive to manually accept things and save them. I also went as far to disable the firewall to see if I can see my daily from my game rig under network. Pausing the FW on my game rig and refreshing the network tab still just shows itself and nothing else. Pausing it on my daily still just shows the printer and my game rig. Although sometimes I can pause the FW on the daily and it will then list the daily in network also but never show it on my game rig.

To further confuse someone both computers are running Steam. If one is already up and then the other is started it toss's up the notice that the other is ready for in home streaming and vice versa. So they can see each other to a point. Once one or the other is shut down Steam says x computer isn't available. I can also browse to the network section in Windows Explorer/File Manager/This Computer (you know what ever they are choosing to call it this week) where on my game rig it doesn't list my daily and is currently just listing itself. In the address bar I can type \\My daily's computer name and then hit return and see all the folders I'm sharing and access them. So for some reason the daily just isn't getting listed as a networked computer in the network selection of This PC where you can browse it like file manager unless it is manually connected to via the address bar (\\computer name). Never had this problem that I can remember before. Very annoying.

Last edited:
I've got a similar issue.

I run a mix of Windows, OSX, Linux machines. In my daughters room I share a folder with my Windows PC with shows on it she likes to watch via a WDTV. The funny thing is, at some stage recently this folder stayed visible to the WDTV, but I cannot authenticate to it - No matter what I do I cannot log in to this folder from the WDTV. The other odd thing is, the shares from my Linux PC to the WDTV still work just fine with no authentication issues whatsoever!

I don't know when exactly this happened, but I'm pretty sure it was before the Creators Update?

Interested to see the outcome of this one!

You aren't using Homegroup are you?

Reactions: scgt1
like this
You aren't using Homegroup are you?

Nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue. Like you I'm not sure exactly when the issue started. I moved a bunch of files over while on my game rig from my daily prior to reloading my daily and doing the creators update. I would say maybe 2 weeks prior. So who knows if it was one of the updates prior to the creators update or in fact the creators update that did this.

I'm unable to join the homegroup for some dumb ass reason. I forget what the error is but I can create one from my daily but can't join it from my game rig. I had this issue prior to reloading. I will say I use AirVPN on just my daily for added protection since all my billing etc is done on that computer and I've been hacked before which I believe happened by the Asus router I used to have. Kept having problems with that router and Asus couldn't seem to properly fix it or get me a working one so I said screw you lol and got a R7000 instead. About the only good thing they make anymore seems to be motherboards. Had issues with an RX460 and RX480 both strix cards with dual display (second being my living room tv for media streaming). XFX GTR RX480 and the same driver install as with both Asus cards and all the problems were gone. So it was in fact the Asus cards.

Nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue. Like you I'm not sure exactly when the issue started. I moved a bunch of files over while on my game rig from my daily prior to reloading my daily and doing the creators update. I would say maybe 2 weeks prior. So who knows if it was one of the updates prior to the creators update or in fact the creators update that did this.

I'm unable to join the homegroup for some dumb ass reason. I forget what the error is but I can create one from my daily but can't join it from my game rig. I had this issue prior to reloading. I will say I use AirVPN on just my daily for added protection since all my billing etc is done on that computer and I've been hacked before which I believe happened by the Asus router I used to have. Kept having problems with that router and Asus couldn't seem to properly fix it or get me a working one so I said screw you lol and got a R7000 instead. About the only good thing they make anymore seems to be motherboards. Had issues with an RX460 and RX480 both strix cards with dual display (second being my living room tv for media streaming). XFX GTR RX480 and the same driver install as with both Asus cards and all the problems were gone. So it was in fact the Asus cards.

Ok, so I assume you're doing things the old way and basically sharing a drive/folder on one machine and mapping the drive on another? Have you tried remapping the drive that isn't being shared correctly?

Ok, so I assume you're doing things the old way and basically sharing a drive/folder on one machine and mapping the drive on another? Have you tried remapping the drive that isn't being shared correctly?
Not sure what you mean by mapping it on another. Since windows 10 I've never been able to get homegroup to work so I've always used File manager and right clicked on the specific folder I want to share and selected share with Everyone or else it never shows up. I just removed Everyone from one folder. Went back to that folder selected properties/sharing/clicked the share button and selected Everyone then changed the permissions and saved/applied it. It tells me I'm now sharing that folder yet the daily still can't be seen from my game rig.

Just went through the trouble shooter on both computers for network and homegroup it didn't find any problems. I pull up homegroup on the game rig and it says my other computer has created a homegroup so I put the password in on my game rig and I get:
Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network. To create a new homegroup, click OK, and then open HomeGroup in Control Panel. SMH

Followed these steps up Allow Full Control to MachineKeys and PeerNetworking folders which won't take. I've tried for Administrator, Administrators, and my profile which is an administrator account.

I've about had it with this shit. Something so simple as sharing folders across my own damn network is becoming a chore. Never had these problems with Win 7. MS comes in and want's to stick their shit in everything we do in 10 with all their auto updates and downloads. Restarting your computer when they see fit unless you can remember to add more time. Task bar not responding, calculator working when it want's to. I really liked 10 in the beginning but it's becoming more of a PITA!

F IT! Just created a shortcut \\THEKINGSBOX and slapped it on my desktop. I can get to my daily that way. What a damn joke. Makes no sense why I can't access it through network considering I can with the above or typing it in an address bar. Steam also sees it for streaming yet it doesn't show up in network. Doing the above steps from that link has also successfully made my game rig no longer show up on my game rig in network. Go figure. Yet on my daily it still lists the printer, my game rig, and itself under network and I followed the same steps in the link above on both pc's.

Last edited:
I've had a similar issue for a few years now with one of my machines not seeing another.
We have have 8 desktops and only my E5-2670 machine can't see 1 of them (Apollo), every other machine can see the shares on all the other machines and vice versa.
In the past when I needed to move a file from Apollo to the E5-2670 machine, I would open the shared folders from both machines on my main workstation and copy the files from one to the other that way.

This was with Windows 7 and now Windows 10, so I am not sure what the deal is.

Back