problems installing Win7 SP1

TheGreySpectre

Limp Gawd
So I have been trying and failing to install Windows 7 SP1. Every time I try to install it I get the error:

The value of an attribute in an identity is not within the legal range.
Error: ERROR_SXS_INVALID_IDENTITY_ATTRIBUTE_VALUE(0x8007370a)

Microsoft recommends installing the system readiness tool to fix the problem (KB947821) which I did however I still have the exact same issue.

I tried redownloading the service pack files and still have the same problem.

If anyone has any ideas suggestions would be appreciated.

System is:
Win 7 Pro 64 bit
Amd 9850 quad core
AMD 6870 video card
Areca 1880ix-12 raid card
6gigs DDR2

So you already have Windows 7 installed, and are just attempting to install the SP? I take it the readiness tool did not find anything?

%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
%SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

Also keep in mind that the SP has some requirements. There is a specific patch you need to download from WU to allow it to be installed. Try unhiding everything in WU and make sure you have downloaded all security, critical, or important updates related to the OS and Internet Explorer. Also make sure your clock is correct, all hardware is installed, and even delete all files (including the SP) from your c:\softwaredistribution\download folder, then run WU again to redownload. I suggest just installing it from WU, rather than using the stand alone package. If you see it pop up on WU, yo know you qualify to install it.

I tried running sfc /scannow and windows says it cannot perform the requested operation.

One thing I have noticed is that there are 3 updates (I am at work so I cannot look at which 3 they are) that install and bring up the windows is installing updates upon computer shutdown, but when the computer turns back on it says those updates were never installed. Upon boot-up the computer also never brings up the "configuring updates" screen that usually occurs when you successfully install updates that require a reboot.

I tried running sfc /scannow and windows says it cannot perform the requested operation.

One thing I have noticed is that there are 3 updates (I am at work so I cannot look at which 3 they are) that install and bring up the windows is installing updates upon computer shutdown, but when the computer turns back on it says those updates were never installed. Upon boot-up the computer also never brings up the "configuring updates" screen that usually occurs when you successfully install updates that require a reboot.

Edit: Might be time for a repair installation. :(

i had similar issues of SP1 not installing and asking for "update rediness tool" and still the problem persists... So what i done to solve the problem?

I had got win7 sp1 x64bits builtin... Bang problem solved.

PS: If u get SP1 DVD and you you dont use english language on your PC - You may wana use latest SP1 with media refresh update.

you have to download it through windows update, the actual file SP1 is not intended for home users at least i think thats what it is mainly because there are prerequisites needed.

I have spent tonight working on doing a repair install...which is failing. When I follow the directions of the MS support staff it says upgrade failed, when I followed the directions on the win7 forums I get a message saying Windows 7 Pro can't be upgraded to Windows 7 Pro.

The difference between the MS support staff insall and the Win7 Forum repair install is that MS support rep install has you not check for updates up run the normal setup, where as the win7 forum repair install has you check for updates and run the win7 setup in compatibility mode.

Back