Problems getting an ATI and nVidia GPU to behave properly in the same system

DanNeely

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a 5870 and an 8500 in my W7-64 system and am using the latter primarily for running a 3rd monitor. I do distributed computing using the BOINC platform and getting drivers installed and configured so that the 5870 was detected and able to do work was a PITA although I eventually succeeded for the most part. The one outstanding issue that I have is that aero isn't working and all windows will say is that one of my drivers isn't WDDM compatible, but not which one is the problem. I'm running the 10.9 and 258.96 drivers on my cards at present.

Wow, that sucks! Windows 7 was supposed to bring us multi-display harmony, but all it takes is a buggy driver to throw that out the window :D

Just do what Tamlin suggested and get the $25 cable. At least now the DP->DVI adapter cables are finally cheap.

that's one option I'm considering if I can't get the drivers to play nice; my main reservation is the rumors that the 6xxx series will be able to support 3 legacy video outs instead of two making it a mostly useless purchase going forward. The others are a $25 5450, more expensive long term because of power consumed, but spare parts are always useful. Going up a bit in price but more useful as compute devices are $45 5550 and $65 5670 cards; at stock speeds these'd give me an extra 13/23% more throughput; more if they have decent OC potential.

Wow, that sucks! Windows 7 was supposed to bring us multi-display harmony, but all it takes is a buggy driver to throw that out the window :D

Yeah, caught me by surprise. If I'd've known it was an issue like with Vista I'd've bought something in advance to mitigate the issue.

Just do what Tamlin suggested and get the $25 cable. At least now the DP->DVI adapter cables are finally cheap.

True although in my case a DP-DSUB cable would've worked just as well. It was over a year before I discovered that one of my 2090's was running in analog mode (after a buggy program messed up sync while seizure display settings going into fullscreen mode); not having any luck cluebattting it to digital and not wanting to spend money on a digital only cable when there was no difference to the naked eye I just let it be.

I highly doubt that adapter uses more than a few watts. And Dsub is on its way out. Mise well use DVI

Back