Problem with Windows 7 x64 install, AHCI driver is not installing

EricFX1984

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an Asus X54c laptop

The sata controller is:

Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 1C03

it is working in windows RIGHT NOW, however for whatever reason the drivers will not work if I try to install windows 7 from scratch. This is quite annoying. I have tried SEVERAL drivers. each time it tells me that I need to install a 32 bit driver OR a signed 64 bit driver

I need some ideas... Maybe I should just install the Windows 8 beta? lol

BTW: I am using Windows 7 Ultimate the disc has the 64 bit version of the OS, I purchased this disc locally from Microcenter. The install that is currently on this machine was installed from this same disc

Last edited:
Sounds like you're using a cracked OS.

How does an OS get broken? There is not a single scratch on the disc, on top of that it's an original disc.

Oh I see what you mean. No it's not a 'cracked' copy.

Last edited:
How does an OS get broken? There is not a single scratch on the disc, on top of that it's an original disc.

Oh I see what you mean. No it's not a 'cracked' copy.
OH OK, I thought I saw you wrote "32 and 64 bit on the same disc" , which I've only seen with cracked/loader OSes.

When you boot to the disc, and you get to the part to select the hard drive, is nothing listed? If you see the drive, just click it and go, you don't have to 'load driver'. Windows 7 has an AHCI driver that is compatible with 6 series, integrated into the disc. No driver should be necessary.

well have tried several copies of windows, both my retail versions and an OEM. I even tried a downloaded copy for good measure. I then tried all the discs I had imaged over to a flash drive. That did not work either. same issue

so $5 Paypal gift to the first person to find a solution

Last edited:
Ok I came up with an idea that worked... went into the bios and set it to IDE, then I started the install of Windows 7 x64, on the first reboot I hopped into the bios and reset the bios to AHCI. The machine rebooted and went right into windows, it installed the AHCI drivers on boot up. It works GREAT now.

Got the same laptop on my bench the orginal restore asus hacked the OS to make it work with the controller. Doing a fresh install is impossible unless its windows 8 with the new storahci.sys driver.

Cheap Asus at best.

Back