problem with vista rc1, multi monitors, and nvidia 96.33

dualblade

Supreme [H]ardness
when i try to run multi monitor with this setup, i get graphical corruption on my second monitor. all these little squares start blinking on the picture, and windows become partially transparent (in this odd square form). anotherwords, the blinking squares let me see through the window, to the desktop. with just the stock windows driver everything works fine, and i've never had any problems in games, so i don't think it's a problem with my hardware. just curious if anyone else had this problem. just for reference, my two monitors run different aspect ratios, resolutions, and refresh rates, if that makes any difference. the corruption doesn't show up right away when windows boots, it usually takes a few minutes and a few open windows. the graphics card is not overheating

Did you by chance read the release notes for the 96.33 nvidia drivers?

"Pan & Scan
This driver does not support the Pan & Scan feature. (Pan & Scan is the process of panning across the desktop in order to display a desktop on a monitor with lower resolution)."

"nView Span Modes / Desktop Overlap
This driver does not support the ability to display one desktop across two monitors, and then overlap the adjacent edges."

MixManSC, I don't think you're reading what the OP wrote. He's just running multi-monitor, not using pan and scan, and he's not using overlapping.

I came across this thread because I'm having the exact same problem with the new drivers. As soon as I installed them, whenever I would exit a game (and the Vista interface would go back to being the full 3D Aero), I would get millions of little flickering rectangles on my secondary monitor, making the windows they were appearing in transparent to the desktop. My monitors are both exactly the same, Dell 1901fps running at 1280x1024, both connected to my XFX GF6600GT using dual DVI. I am not using pan and scan or overlapping. This is just a big, huge, glaring bug in these new drivers. As soon as I rolled back to the previous drivers, the problem disappeared.

Actually I believe both of you are decribing exactly what the driver release notes warn is not supported. Pan and scan essentially is when you have two monitors with different resolutions. The OP posted

"just for reference, my two monitors run different aspect ratios, resolutions, and refresh rates, if that makes any difference"

Well yes - I think that does make the difference. In most every game I've played on load the game launches the main monitor into a different resolution, then usually switches back when the game is quit. That would also - at least while the game is running present the situation where the two monitors are at different resolutions. At least this is my take on it. I coule be wrong but the way I read it is that essentially if at any point you have two monitors and one goes to a different resolution than the other at some point, then you may run into problems.

Pan and scan, I'm 99% certain, is when you want, for example, a 1600x1200 desktop but a monitor that can only display 1280x1024. Then when you move your mouse to the edge of the screen, the whole things "scrolls" up. So you can only see a portion of your desktop at any given time. It's a pretty rare thing, most people don't use it. EDIT: It even says, right in the very driver release notes you quoted: "Pan & Scan is the process of panning across the desktop in order to display a desktop on a monitor with lower resolution". That's what it is, it has nothing to do with dual monitors.

At any rate, by either definition the pan and scan issue is not it, because I'm not changing resolutions. I have UT2004, for example, set to 1280x1024, so neither of my monitors ever change resolution. Before I enter the game, everything is fine. While I'm playing the game, everything is fine on the second monitor. When I exit the game, the second monitor goes bezerk even though everything is still at 1280x1024, and it stays that way until I go into Display Settings, disable the second monitor, and reenable it.

Back