Problem with Ultra 600w, strange noise

kbaer89

Weaksauce
When I plug in my PSU, I hear a soft squeezing/buzzing sound. It goes off after 5 minutes. My computer won't turn on for about 10 minutes.

This only happens when I first plug in the PSU, after the computer is on it works perfectly.

Do I need a new PSU?

Is this a new occurence? It never did this before and nothing's changed in the PC? It just started doing this out of the blue?

Why are you unplugging and replugging your PC?

If you just plugged it in and left it alone, would you ever hear the sound again?
(make sure it's next to a smoke detector:eek:)

I take my PC back to college so I have to plug it in.

It's been doing this for about a year now. Usually it turns on after 10 minutes but the other day it would't boot at all.

Hmm... I ask because it could be a protection circuit preventing the PSU from powering up. If you really want to trouble shoot this, take the motherboard w/ CPU, RAM and GPU, out of the chassis, set it on something non-conductive (wood work bench or dining room table is fine) and power it all up with the power supply all outside of the case to see if it does the same thing. Have no drives hooked up, no USB, no KBD, mouse, and no add in cards other than the graphics card to see if you can duplicate the problem.

Back