Problem with Toshiba Satellite A105

Citizen86

Supreme [H]ardness
Edit: Okay, I've found that the RAM isn't necessarily bad, both work, but only in one spot. The left slot doesn't seem to want to accept any RAM. This is a little strange, isn't it? I've heard of RAM going bad, but the slot, I'm not so sure.... anyone had a problem similar to this?

Pretty odd. My GF has that model laptop and her mobo just died on it, after 6 months. :rolleyes: Not sure what to say about your RAM issue, Id just RMA the thing and be done with it.

Yeah it's obviously a problem with the ram slot, which definitely isn't as easy a fix as a dead stick of ram :rolleyes:

This is a little strange, isn't it?
Actually see this happen quite a lot on a105's.

Also what type of ram are we talking here? Toshiba's really don't like to play nice with third party memory.

Well that sucks if it's common. It wasn't third party though, I edited what I first wrote, but basically it's a friend's laptop and it's been cruising along just fine until today, when it suddenly it would turn on but the LCD would stay blank and nothing would beep, no hard drive activity, etc. So I pulled out everything and found it was not a bad stick of memory, but a bad slot.

But for reference, it's a hynix 512mb PC2-4200-444-12 stick of ram

Well, I guess I should put common in perspective. It happens often on the ones that break and are sent in for repair, which is probably less than 1% of the total that are sold. Be lucky that both ram slots aren't bad, as this is actually more common.

Even though I work on Toshiba's all day, I'd still buy an a105 for the right price. Stuff craps out sometimes, just the nature of creating cost effective consumer electronics.

Back