Problem with the size of hardrive. MyCloudEX2Ultra

Airbrushkid

2[H]4U
Hi,
I have a MyCloudEX2Ultra and had it for about 7 years or so. One of the drives went bad. They both where 4 tb WD drives. So I replace the bad one with a WD Black 6 tb drive. I see in the setting page for the MyCloudEX2Ultra it shows the 4 tb and the 6 tb. But in Windows it shows the 4 tb drive. The problem is the 6 tb now shows as a 4 tb drive why? How can I fix this?
Thank you for any help.

Originally did you see two 4TB drives in Windows? Im guessing (and assuming since you didnt mention data loss) it was set as a mirror, so the 2x 4TB showed as one 4TB drive in Windows.
You replaced the dead 4Tb with a 6TB and the WD is using only 4TB of the 6TB to mirror the other 4TB drive.

Originally did you see two 4TB drives in Windows? Im guessing (and assuming since you didnt mention data loss) it was set as a mirror, so the 2x 4TB showed as one 4TB drive in Windows.
You replaced the dead 4Tb with a 6TB and the WD is using only 4TB of the 6TB to mirror the other 4TB drive.

Originally there was 2 - 4 tb drives. One went bad. So I got a 6 tb drive to replace the 4 tb. Why it was the same price as a4 tb. I do not have it set up as raid. I used JBOD. Just storage. So I thought that no raid it wouldn't matter.

But yes there is a big BUT. Windows see's 2 - 4 tb drives. But MyCloudEX2Ultra shows 1 - 4 tb drive and 1 - 6 tb drive.

The wd myclouds are a bit wonky in the way they work.

The new drive needs to be initialized in the wdmycloud. Log into the web interface and it's somewhere under setup where you can choose the jbod/raid setting and there's a place to initialize the drive there. Once you initialize the new drive and set up a share on it, you should have access to the full 6tb. (y)

Oh, and this is where you need to be very careful and make sure you have a backup of the 4tb because one wrong more and you could wipe it or a system glitch could do the same.

System Disks

Drive1​
4 TB​
58 °C​
Good​
S.M.A.R.T. Data​
Drive2​
6 TB​
57 °C​
Good​
S.M.A.R.T. Data​

I don't know to be honest. Here is what I see -

Volume_1​
JBOD​
3.93 TB​
Good​
Volume_2​
JBOD​
5.94 TB​
Good​
Finally, this is what I was looking for...this looks good. It indicates each drive is there and each is jbod so running independently.

Next thing to check...go under the menu option 'shares' at the top and then look at each one of the shares and see what it says for 'Volume'. If nothing says 'Volume_2' under that, then you need to create a share for 'Volume_2' because there isn't one.

Finally, this is what I was looking for...this looks good. It indicates each drive is there and each is jbod so running independently.

Next thing to check...go under the menu option 'shares' at the top and then look at each one of the shares and see what it says for 'Volume'. If nothing says 'Volume_2' under that, then you need to create a share for 'Volume_2' because there isn't one.

Thank you. I got tired of messing with it. I bought another 6 TB drive. It will be here today. I will still use the older 4 TB in another nas box that is just sitting around. I am now in the process of building a new pc. The one I am now on is about 8 years old and Windows 7 Ulta.

Last edited:
Thank you. I got tired of messing with it. I bought another 6 TB drive. It will be here today. I will still use the older 4 TB in another nas box that is just sitting around. I am now in the process of building a new pc. The one I am now on is about 8 years old and Windows 7 Ulta.
Getting another 6TB drive won't solve the issue. You were literally one step to being done.

There is no shares in any menu. And when I install the new 6 TB drive both drives will show 6 TB each.

There is no shares in any menu. And when I install the new 6 TB drive both drives will show 6 TB each.
At the very top there is one for 'shares'. If you have no shares now, you won't after you swap this drive either. You have to create the shares.

I have several of these WD nas units and they're not as automatic as the synology/qnap ones, but the performance is quite good as a straight nas, plus no one really cares about producing ransomware for these at the fevor that there is for the synology/qnap crowd.

The main thing you need to understand is that when you replace a drive on these units, they typically will not set up a share automatically, especially in jbod mode, and you will need to go under shares and then create it. Once you've done that though, it should be back up and running.

Like I said it would work. Both drives are up and running. Both show 6 TB.
Try it, but if there's no shares defined, you still won't see the drives over the network. Personally, I have not had any issues running different sized drives in jbod once the shares are set up. And this is on the ex2, ex4, and mirror models.

Try it, but if there's no shares defined, you still won't see the drives over the network. Personally, I have not had any issues running different sized drives in jbod once the shares are set up. And this is on the ex2, ex4, and mirror models.

Like I had said it is up and running. The 2 - 6 TB drives show up in MyCloud case. And they show up in my windows pc and I can access them and store my files on them. So there is nothing to try.

Like I had said it is up and running. The 2 - 6 TB drives show up in MyCloud case. And they show up in my windows pc and I can access them and store my files on them. So there is nothing to try.
Can you access the drives independently?

Doesn't make any sense since the only condition in which it would have rebuilt the shares automatically would have been raid1.

Doesn't matter since it works for you, but I've never seen these units behave that way before for jbod usage.

I got the new drive. Then took the Volume_2 out on the enclose. The put the new drive in bay 1. Power it up and waiting. Got a red light. Next format that drive. And it saw it as Volume_1. Next I power it off. Put Volume_2 back in. Power up and got a red light off Volume_2. Next I click reboot. when it was done. I got a message something about migrate I think I click yes and waited. Then it show both drives as Volume_1 and 2. Checked status and showed as fine. Then checked JBOD and they where there and showing 5.94 TB each. I went to my pc. And click Computer and all my drives show up there. So was the 5.94 TB drives. Click each one to see if I could access them. Yes so then copy some files to each drive. It worked.

Gotcha. Sounds like you basically shuffled the drives in precisely the right order for the system to format them and make the shares automatically.

Don't know. Before I removed Volume_2 out I re formatted it. Then removed it. Then I put the new drive in Volume_1 slot and formatted it. Then the rest is in my post above.

Don't know. Before I removed Volume_2 out I re formatted it. Then removed it. Then I put the new drive in Volume_1 slot and formatted it. Then the rest is in my post above.
There's certain shares that are set up automatically, but not sure when it does this after formatting, rebooting, etc. Glad it worked out for you how you wanted. What you going to do with that 4TB?

After get my new system built. I have an old D-link 2 bay I'll put into.
Gotcha. I've looked into those and they had terrible transfer speeds, like under 20MB/s. Basically the generation of nas you have now was the first to be able to really have decent transfer speeds. Prior to that the only thing that really shined was the Intel ss4200-e and its fujitsu clone.

Back