Problem with stability on a64 system...

Tordek

[H]ard|Gawd
My System is as follows:

- A64 3000+
- Zalman CSP7000ACU Copper HSF
- Albatron k8x800 mobo
- 1 gig Kingston ValueRam ( KVR400X64C3AK2 )
- Hitachi Deskstar 80 gig SATA Drive
- Radeon 9800pro 128mb (BB Sapphire, which is the same as ATI)

And my problems are BIG and as follows:

* Prime 95 wont go past 6 minutes once and even past 3 minutes de second time.
* Sandra crashed on the 5th run of the burn in test.
* Aquamark was fine so the card must be fine too.
* When trying to move a huge amount of data from a ATA Disk Drive to the sata harddrive i get a blue screen of death.
* Random blue screens of death when system kinda loaded.
* Random crashes on games, havent tested that too much though.

The cpu temperature is good, bellow 40 Degrees celcius. Same the Mainboard. So i am blank of what to do.

My guess is that the ram is failing and today im running memtest on it, but im not sure though...

I have heard a lot from the stability of the k8x800 so i dont think the board is to blame.

Anyone with ideas or experiences?

Thanks.

Some a64 boards are touchy about RAM. I suspect that either the RAM is faulty or your board is just having problems with it.

Can you try your RAM in another system and/or try different RAM in yours?

So if my Kingston Value Ram is rated CL3 (3-3-3-6) i should set it to 3-4-3-6 and try to see what happens?

Most motherboards Bios' have a "Load Failsafe Defaults" setting. Try that and if it cures the BSOD's then try gradually tweaking the setting to find out which one's giving you problems.

Thanks guys but ive done all that i can on the test and the tweaking. One of the 512mb dimms is damaged... The worst is that i bought it on the US a few weeks ago while on vacation and right now im at Ecuador. If i were to rma it, it would take like a month for the whole process to complete... And lets not talk about mailing costs...

So as of now im the first person who has bought a 512mb Kingston Value Ram dimm for 179 bucks.... :(

Originally posted by Captain Rehab
What happened to the other stick?

Its DOA... Memtest+ errors all around... (not reboots because of the a64, actual error detects....)

Thanks guys but ive done all that i can on the test and the tweaking.

OK. If we're just going to guess I would say that since you have identified 1 stick of 512 as bad and you are still having the problems it is likely your other stick ain't healthy either.

Test the RAM or RMA it. Your choice. Consider also that your Albatron might be killing your RAM. But since you are done testing and tweaking, you'll never know.

That sucks man sorry to hear about it. Hope you get a good deal on some new ram.

Dont worry the computer hasnt had any more errors since the l removed the faulty ram. Its just running with half the ram it was supposed to :mad:

That really sucks to be in South America with your newly built system and have this happen. I think I remember your solicitation for opinions on components several months back. Couldn't help but think what a bitch it would be to have something like this happen. Why don't you fire off an email to the vendor and see if they will do something to facilitate some kind of speedy replacement. Best of luck to you!

News on my situation people...

I mailed both Kingston and Newegg to see if I could just ship them the one faulty module inside the dual channel pack for RMA and Newegg replied that it wouldnt be a problem... :) :) :)

Though the rep. from newegg didnt mention anything on this on the mail he sent, maybe he just read my mail really fast and didnt realize what i was asking... But my hopes are high!

Wish me luck on this people and thanks for your support.

:)

Goodluck!!

Check sig for details... stable and fast and runs so cool ;)
I love it :D

Back