Problem with printing to a printer in remote site over L2TP vpn

dbwillis

[H]F Junkie
Ive never done this before, so I probably overlooked something easy like step #2 or such.

Anyways.....Site A in Connecticut (Main site with Active directory) connects via Site to Site VPN using Ubiquiti USG 4 to a site in New Hampshire using a USG 3 (all workgroup)
Connects fine, users can RDP back and forth, etc
CT site is using 192.168.150.x
NH site is using 192.168.152.x

There is a Canon printer, ir 7580 is the model, in NH, static at .215, Ive added the printer to the 2012 server (a vm) here in CT, pointing to the IP, using the right driver from the Canon site.

Generic_Plus_UFRII_v1.21_Set-up_x64.exe from :>
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...gerunner-advance-c7580i?tab=drivers_downloads

I made a test doc over the weekend in Wordpad on the 2012 server, printed it to the NH printer, called the office this AM and the lady had 35 pages of jibberish printed out when she came in.

Im going to try and mess around with the printer settings on the server (LPR (port 515) to Raw (port 9100)) which I found mentioned on another site.
Anyone run into anything similar?
Every time I try a new thing, its another day to find the result.

(FYI this is not production urgent or needed, its just a nice to have option they asked about, I have a day job and do this customer on the side)

Just to make sure the people in NH can print to this thing just fine?

If I were you I'd mark your test pages with an attempt number and increment it with each attempt ie test page 1, 2, 3, etc. Print them all making notes of settings and in the morning you can have them tell you which ones, if any, were successful,

Actually for the folks in CT to print to the NH printer
Guess I could do that...different printer with different settings for each

Are you trying to use the Server 2012 machine as a Print Server? I would setup the printer on each users machine. At my company, we do this at all of my locations that way its reliant on the end client machine in the event there is printer issues it should be isolated to just one client. You can add a new printer, create a new port with TCP/IP settings using the raw 9100 port and then use the drivers to install. port 9100 would have to be allowed across the VPN tunnel of course.

I havent had time to go back and try other settings. Yes, using the 2012 as a print server, I wouldnt want to setup the printer on each persons PC.
Plus, I only manage the servers for them, on workstations, its $55 to do something, I doubt they want to pay $1k for me to add the printer to 20 machines

Try using a PCL driver instead of that UFR II one. I've never had luck with canon printers.

Thanks for the tip, finnaly got around to fiddling with this, PCL6 driver worked great!

Glad you got it sorted! In my experience printing gibberish has always been wrong \ bad driver.

Back