Problem with Plextor 708a

m1abram

2[H]4U
Ok I am having issues with burning DVDs with my Plextor 708a. No matter what it slows down immediatly to 1x.

This writer is capable of 8x and I know in the past I always got pretty close to that 8x figure.

I will go through the things I have tried so far.
1. Made sure the drive was running in udma 2 mode
2. Tried 2 types of DVD+R media, Memorex rated for 16x and TDK rated for 8x
3. Tried different IDE cables with the drive (maybe one was bad)
4. Checked for updated firmwares (latest was already installed)
5. Been using without much problem Roxio that came with the drive, and Roxio recognises the media as 8x capable.

So anyone have ideas as to what the problem could be? Or what else I should try and test?

m1abram said:
Ok I am having issues with burning DVDs with my Plextor 708a. No matter what it slows down immediatly to 1x.

This writer is capable of 8x and I know in the past I always got pretty close to that 8x figure.

I will go through the things I have tried so far.
1. Made sure the drive was running in udma 2 mode
2. Tried 2 types of DVD+R media, Memorex rated for 16x and TDK rated for 8x
3. Tried different IDE cables with the drive (maybe one was bad)
4. Checked for updated firmwares (latest was already installed)
5. Been using without much problem Roxio that came with the drive, and Roxio recognises the media as 8x capable.

So anyone have ideas as to what the problem could be? Or what else I should try and test?
Try a different burning app? Try Nero or IMGburn.

Ok I gave Imgburn a try and it worked great. However since it only burns images not the greatest solution since I would need a seperate app to create the image and then burn it.

So I downloaded the trial of Nero 7. Tried burning the EXACT same image file I used with ImBurn using the same media. Got through about 30% and nero threw an non-descript error.

m1abram said:
Ok I gave Imgburn a try and it worked great. However since it only burns images not the greatest solution since I would need a seperate app to create the image and then burn it.

So I downloaded the trial of Nero 7. Tried burning the EXACT same image file I used with ImBurn using the same media. Got through about 30% and nero threw an non-descript error.
Mind posting the error log here?

Back