Problem with overclocking my Athlon64 3200+ --Extremely low OCing capability

Desolate

Limp Gawd
My specs:
K8N Neo2 Platinum
Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
1024mb pc2700

The problem is:
I can only overclock an extremely tiny bit.
I have the CPU Frequency at 207mhz, making my total speed 2070mhz.
If I go any higher, it wont let me go past the inital load up screen in BIOS. It says "System is now in safe mode. Press DEL to change overclock settings in BIOS."

Also, My temps are at about 89F (32C) currently.

I was under the impression that this processor could reach MUCH higher speeds on stock cooling. I tried to up the memory voltage a bit and that didnt help. Any suggestions?

Kevlarman said:
Did you try upping the Vcore?
Yep. The stock Vcore is 1.35V. I upped the "CPU VID" in bios to 1.45V. I also upped the CPU Voltage from the default to "Over 3.3%". Still, I can't get it any higher than 109Mhz FSB.

It's that move from 109mhz FSB to 110mhz that won't let it boot. Goes right to that Safe Mode screen, forcing me to go into bios.

It can't be that the CPU can't handle it, right? I'd think it would be able to go much higher.

thunderstruck! said:
Make sure your memory can do DDR420. Try setting a divider.
I've heard this somewhere else, also. I'm not very familiar with memory. How do I check this and how do I set up a divider?

Desolate said:
I've heard this somewhere else, also. I'm not very familiar with memory. How do I check this and how do I set up a divider?
With my MSI board, you go to where all the RAM settings are, and it will say something like "RAM Frequency" and then have a speed. You just go here and lower the speed. Setting up a divider confused me too for a while cause I was looking for a "RAM divider" option in BIOS.

I think it's DRAM Configuration. You want to set it to DDR333 (166mhz) or lower. I'd even recommend DDR200 (100mhz) just to take the RAM out of the equation while you figure out how high the CPU OC's

kirbyrj said:
I think it's DRAM Configuration. You want to set it to DDR333 (166mhz) or lower. I'd even recommend DDR200 (100mhz) just to take the RAM out of the equation while you figure out how high the CPU OC's
Ok I tried this and still no luck. I set it to 100mhz and tried overclocking again, but it still won't go through.

What's wrong with this thing??

drop the cpu muti to 9x. if you still can't get past 2070mhz, it may be the cpu. if you're limited much lower, it's something is

Back