Problem with Napp-it not starting after restart on OI151a

MaxIImus

n00b
Hi,

A week ago i bought a new server and installed ESXi 5 on it right away. Afterwards I installed Openindiana 151a as I have done about 5 times now on a different server, but something isn't right.

I manage to install OpenIndiana and Napp-it just fine. The problem is that when I restart the VM, I cannot access napp-it anymore through http. I read on Gea's website that mini-httpd might crash but when I try to start it with "/etc/init.t/napp-it start" (you know the command) it says it isn't there.

I then tried to reinstall OI again and use napp-it 0.6r instead but that didn't make any difference.

What I don't understand is, that I have done about 5 times on another server without problems, and I don't get why I suddently have this problem.

Does anyone recognise this problem and know how to solve it?

/MaxIImus

EDIT: I followed the "All-In-One" tutorial on Gea's homepage

Hi,

A week ago i bought a new server and installed ESXi 5 on it right away. Afterwards I installed Openindiana 151a as I have done about 5 times now on a different server, but something isn't right.

I manage to install OpenIndiana and Napp-it just fine. The problem is that when I restart the VM, I cannot access napp-it anymore through http. I read on Gea's website that mini-httpd might crash but when I try to start it with "/etc/init.t/napp-it start" (you know the command) it says it isn't there.

I then tried to reinstall OI again and use napp-it 0.6r instead but that didn't make any difference.

What I don't understand is, that I have done about 5 times on another server without problems, and I don't get why I suddently have this problem.

Does anyone recognise this problem and know how to solve it?

/MaxIImus

EDIT: I followed the "All-In-One" tutorial on Gea's homepage

if it works after installation and not after a reboot (napp-it not even installed)
i suppose you boot into a pre installation system snap

Well, that actually sounds like I could be the problem - I'll check it right away.

I uses the boot option called OpenIndiana v.6 which is the latest version I can see when napp-it has installed the last program.

Hmm, that doesn't seem to be the problem. I'll better write the exact steps i do:

1) Install OpenIndiana 151a, directly downloaded from their homepage. Followed the installationsguide, which doesn't give any problems
2) Then installed I install vmware-tools
3) Then I install napp-it (by "su" followed by "wget -O - www.napp-it.org/nappit | perl).
4) Then I write "passwd root" and reboot the system

Then it restarts using the latest boot environment called "OpenIndiana-6" but afterwards I cannot http into napp-it.

I have had this problem both with using ESXi and because I don't have ESXi installed on my server atm, I have used VMware Workstaion but that acted excatly the same way.

As I see nobody is having this problem, I must do something wrong but I don't know what it is.

Okay, maybe I got it to work now. I tried to do a new "wget -O - www.napp-it.org/nappit | perl" after i restarted the VM after the first time I installed it, and this seems to fix the problem (at least on Workstation). I guess I'll format my server now and install ESXi again and see if this helps.

Had the same problem since using the newest napp-it stable. Once I installed and reboot, needed to go back in grub and select the first install listed and it worked. After installing APF and rebooting in any of the selections, I still get nettalk not installed in services. Only had this problem with OI, so I went with NexCore 3. If I could figure out how to install Napp-it and extra services without creating the snapshot/rollback/clone install, I'd use OI primarily. Gea, got any feedback for us on this one?

napp-it on OI creates a pre-systemstate-snap during wget installation but does not activate it.
It should not boot into this pre snap automatically.

You can select any system snaps at boot time manully and you can activate any as default
when bootet via beadm comand (see menu snap - boot-env)

But installer was modified due to Illumian support.
I can't currently test but will check if something is broken.

napp-it on OI creates a pre-systemstate-snap during wget installation but does not activate it.
It should not boot into this pre snap automatically.

Grub will boot into say, OI "6" on the first reboot after napp-it install without any user input; which is why I think we are seeing these errors. Selecting the first menu option in grub brings a post napp-it install boot into view, but AFP installs are disappearing after install and reboot.

tnmcG.png

Y9Qnu.png

Last edited:
Just wanted to say I have the same problem. It selects "openindiana-6" after reboot, but napp-it is missing.
If I select the standard boot image it has napp-it, but are missing some packages.

Okay, maybe I got it to work now. I tried to do a new "wget -O - www.napp-it.org/nappit | perl" after i restarted the VM after the first time I installed it, and this seems to fix the problem (at least on Workstation). I guess I'll format my server now and install ESXi again and see if this helps.

That seems to be the case.
On first setup, all the tools like smartmontools and bonnie are creating systemsnaps
After wget all apps are installed but one of the systemsnap seems not to be based on the former state so it fails on reboot

On a second run directly after the first without reboot, the apps are all installed so there is no extra systemsnap done and the installer runs without problem.

What may help:
after a wget run, do a beadm create -a new_napp-it
to create a final systemsnap and activate it, reboot

I will do some more tests, but that seems to help on my first test.
maybe you can try also

Last edited:

The nappit installer installs several packages like bonnie, smartmontools, netcat, iperf and mc
With current OpenIndiana, they are all creating a systemsnap during installation but it seems that only the last one is working. (currently napp-it is the last one). Others like smartmontools not.

Current workaround:
install bonnie or smartmontools one by the next and reboot after each installation

Back