Problem with my system - need assistance

WarLust

Limp Gawd
My system specs are below. To start this off, my computer was making a bad whining noise a month or so ago and kept getting worse. Checking here a few weeks ago led me to the Northbirdge fan problem so many have complained about and have had RMA'd through ASUS. I called them and promptly received my new one last week. I had also noticed within the past month or so that my computer, when shut down hard, meaning by turning off the surge protector or the PSU switch, would take about 10 minutes for it to actually want to turn on again. I have heard it might be some kind of thermal protection on the motherboard or maybe in the PSU. I normally did this when I ran buggy games that locked up and I had to cold boot the system. So my problem came last night when I proceded to change out my old northbridge fan for the new one. I reconnected both SATA cables, IDE cable, both motherboard and CPU power cables, PCI Express power cable, front on/off button, power, and HDD light wires, and fans. I hit the power button and nada, zip, nothing happens. I figure ok, I just need to wait about 10 minutes. I come back and it still wouldn't boot up. I know I had power to the motherboard from the green indicator light. I was getting power through my video card since my monitor standby orange light was on. I figured it was either my switch in the case or the PSU. After talking with a computer rep in my area, he mentioned it might be the motherboard. I've bought a new Neo PSU today so I can install it and see if that is my problem once I get off work. I do not think it is the switch. It is a brand new case and the switch looks like it is in working condition. I sure hope it is not the motherboard. If so, I think I'm going with the DFI this time! I've triple checked all wires and cables. Can anyone think of what might be wrong?

WarLust said:
I had also noticed within the past month or so that my computer, when shut down hard, meaning by turning off the surge protector or the PSU switch, would take about 10 minutes for it to actually want to turn on again.

Don't do that. Ever.

Software reset if possible, followed by the actual reset button (works except in the most extreme cases), followed by holding down the computer's power button for about 3-5 seconds for a forced power down, followed by turning off the switch on the back of the computer's power supply (most likely top back of case). There is no reason you should ever just unplug it like that. Other issues aside, it will cause a power fluctuation to the system which can and will cause varying degrees of damage.

For some reason my case does not have a reset button, ergo I could not reset it. And most of the lockups would not allow me to software reboot, i.e. CTRL-ALT-DEL, reboot.

Yeah...some geniuses in certain companies' design departments thought it'd be fun to omit those, because computers are just sooo stable these days and nobody would ever need to hit a reset button again. Just continue down the list...software reset won't work, reset button is missing, so try holding down the power button for 3-5 seconds. If that doesn't work use the switch on the back. Line bounce will screw your data up bad, if not kill a few components.

.sgub gintseretni dah UOY thgouth ouy dnA .toobre oot deen...sdrawkcab ginog ckuts s'draobyek ym noaser emos rof...mmU

WarLust said:
My system specs are below. To start this off, my computer was making a bad whining noise a month or so ago and kept getting worse. Checking here a few weeks ago led me to the Northbirdge fan problem so many have complained about and have had RMA'd through ASUS. I called them and promptly received my new one last week. I had also noticed within the past month or so that my computer, when shut down hard, meaning by turning off the surge protector or the PSU switch, would take about 10 minutes for it to actually want to turn on again. I have heard it might be some kind of thermal protection on the motherboard or maybe in the PSU. I normally did this when I ran buggy games that locked up and I had to cold boot the system. So my problem came last night when I proceded to change out my old northbridge fan for the new one. I reconnected both SATA cables, IDE cable, both motherboard and CPU power cables, PCI Express power cable, front on/off button, power, and HDD light wires, and fans. I hit the power button and nada, zip, nothing happens. I figure ok, I just need to wait about 10 minutes. I come back and it still wouldn't boot up. I know I had power to the motherboard from the green indicator light. I was getting power through my video card since my monitor standby orange light was on. I figured it was either my switch in the case or the PSU. After talking with a computer rep in my area, he mentioned it might be the motherboard. I've bought a new Neo PSU today so I can install it and see if that is my problem once I get off work. I do not think it is the switch. It is a brand new case and the switch looks like it is in working condition. I sure hope it is not the motherboard. If so, I think I'm going with the DFI this time! I've triple checked all wires and cables. Can anyone think of what might be wrong?

make sure ram is firmly seated, also the processor needs to be 100% in, I didnt have mine in right when I first installed my pc. Make sure your HDD, Power, etc LEDS are plugged in correctly into your motherboard. Your computer won't start without them in right, and sometimes it gets a bit confusing to plug them in right.

Sorry about that. Has to be about the weirdest computer glitch I've had in a while, I'm guessing my USB driver went wonky for some reason.

1) Stop turning it off on the power strip.

2) Reboot a couple times, sometimes Windows is in the middle of doing something (possibly repairing data problems, installing updates, contemplating its navel) and just needs a couple resets to fix whatever's going on by itself.

3) Try booting with the network cable unplugged, this tends to be the longest portion of the boot process to start with and if it's taking extraordinarily long to boot sometimes this helps.

4) If the problem persists try a CMOS jumper reset, your motherboard manual should have instructions (including an illustration as to which jumper it is) if you're not familiar with the procedure.

5) If that doesn't help try uninstalling ACPI power management, reboot and it should automatically reinstall, reboot again after it's finished.

ashmedai said:
Sorry about that. Has to be about the weirdest computer glitch I've had in a while, I'm guessing my USB driver went wonky for some reason.

1) Stop turning it off on the power strip.

2) Reboot a couple times, sometimes Windows is in the middle of doing something (possibly repairing data problems, installing updates, contemplating its navel) and just needs a couple resets to fix whatever's going on by itself.

3) Try booting with the network cable unplugged, this tends to be the longest portion of the boot process to start with and if it's taking extraordinarily long to boot sometimes this helps.

4) If the problem persists try a CMOS jumper reset, your motherboard manual should have instructions (including an illustration as to which jumper it is) if you're not familiar with the procedure.

5) If that doesn't help try uninstalling ACPI power management, reboot and it should automatically reinstall, reboot again after it's finished.

Let me simplify my problem a little better - IT IS NOT COMING ON AT ALL! How can I do any of those things when I cannot get it to turn on? I know about everything you just said, but it still does not help me figure out why my computer will not turn on. For the record, again, I have double and triple checked all wires, cables, and memory. It worked before I changed the Northbridge fan.

Ah. That's what I get for skimming the OP I guess.

In that case...it worked before you changed the chipset fan, all parts and connections are secure, therefore you probably cracked the chipset. Do a CMOS jumper reset just in case, but if that doesn't work you quite possibly have a dead motherboard now.

The PC is "on" as you have the green LED lighted and therefore power trickling through the board. Do the CMOS reset as suggested above before assuming that the mobo is dead.

Did you try starting it up with the new chipset fan disconnected from the board? Not very likely, but maybe there's a short in the three-pin connector that's shorting out the fan header preventing the board from booting? If clearing the CMOS doesn't work, and disconnecting the new fan doesn't work, you probably cracked the chipset.

Oh, and NEVER turn your PC off by unplugging it. That causes a sudden surge of power to hit the PC when you plug it back in. A quality PSU should resist the surge and protect your components, but often the PSU dies in the process, and if your PSU is old or isn't very good, it won't stop the surge and you will lose other components.

UPDATE: It was the PSU as I speculated. I'm using another Neo for now. My next upgrade will include a PCP&C 510 Deluxe PCI Express

WarLust said:
UPDATE: It was the PSU as I speculated. I'm using another Neo for now. My next upgrade will include a PCP&C 510 Deluxe PCI Express

Well a whining soung often shows a overloaded PSU... U can also go w. a OCZ PS 600W the only ppl Ive sen complainging about these PSU are:

A: Ppl that have never tried them
B: Toms Hardware (and that might be as good a recommendation as any LoL)

Back