Problem with my GTX670 after installing windows 8

r3awak3n

Gawd
Installed win 8 pro a couple of weeks ago and all of a sudden been having some problems. When I am playing video games (happens a lot in far cry 3 but also on Battlefield) I will be playing and the screen will flash black and come back. Sometimes it will do it a couple of time and then I can play for a while with no problems and it flashes again.

I also have it glitch out, flash black then glitch out or just glitch and go back to being ok. Weird thing is that it was perfectly fine in windows 7 and this is a new symthom that I did not have.

Anyone has a similar experience? any fix?

I have two gtx 680s running windows 8 totally fine. Take out the video card and completely uninstall the nvidia drivers then reinstall. May sound too easy but try it it works most of the time. If you don't have onboard you can try to uninstall the drivers with the 680 still attached.

I have reinstalled the drivers, maybe I will uninstall first then reinstall. I do have onboard so I can remove it.

Its just weird that its happening because it never happened on 7 so I know it has something to do with the OS.

thanks btw!

Just installed the beta drivers, played some counter strike and it happened again. Its really annoying. It does go away for a bit but eventually comes back again.

I just emailed gigabyte to see what they have to say. I know its not the gfx card itself, well I know its not overheating because I checked the temps and it never went above 61

No overclock at all, the card is stock. It's a gigabyte 670OC 2GD. I have searched google and found some similar issues with nvidia cards but no answers.

It kept on doing it at beggining of games yesterday but them went away and never happened again

Thanks HR_The_Butcher but I am already on the F12 bios. I got this card not too long ago.

There is your problem, trying installing a real operating system like Windows 7.

I knew that someone was going to thread crap. I had windows 7 and got a really good deal on a windows 8 here from the forum (Its the first non pirated windows I have had and it was such a good price I had to do it, I was tired of having to deal with updates).

I could tell you that windows 7 is not a real operating system either and start talking about linux but I will not be an asshole, now get out of my thread and go get your post count up somewhere else. thanks.

EDIT: because I read your signature and you are obviously one of those college know it all people, I have researched this issue a bunch and it seems like it might not be windows 8 because some people on windows 7 are having exactly the same problem. I promise I will not come in your thread and bash your hardware/software choices so please do not reply to this and let me seek help from people that are knowledgeable.

I'm running Tri-SLI 580 gtx's on a triple monitor setup and I have this same problem. 1 or 2 monitor would turn black for about 2 seconds then turn back on. It doesn't happen too often but I'm at the point where I said the hell with it because I have a boat load of other surround gaming problems. Newer drivers won't work for my surround setup in Windows 7. Can't get to device manager because it reports an error, Firefox crashes immediately on startup, BF3 fails immediately. Certain drivers causes BF3 to stutter so much to the point where I would get angry and turn green. From what I've read about it going black, its the drivers crashing and then it reports that it has recovered.

The stable drivers that I have where everything is working, also has problems down the road. Eventually, not sure if its driver deterioration or something, because after about a month or so, all my monitors would go black randomly and just lock up. Uninstalled drivers in safe mode, removed all traces with Driver cleaner, re-installed, same thing. I finally got fed up after doing restores every month and running into the exact same problem time after time, that I switched to Windows 8 recently and so far, the newer drivers are giving me some problems like 7, but at least there's no driver deterioration like in 7. It's only been about a week so time will tell.

So far, I miss a few things in Windows 7 like the gadgets. I disabled metro completely and its basically Windows 7 underneath. Windows 8 actually runs faster for me also.

I have found tons of people with similar problems but no answer to the problem.

I mean the games are playable and it doesnt happen that ofter but its a brand new computer so it bothers me a bit.

Glad you post the win7 to 8. The reason I mentioned that it might be the OS was because I didnt have it on 7 but after doing tons of research and most ppl I found with the same problem are actually on win 7

When you re-install the drivers do you select clean install under custom install?

Secondly, have you tried re-linking your cables such as your HDMI, DVI etc.?

There is your problem, trying installing a real operating system like Windows 7.

Windows 8 works great and has drivers for more and more hardware.
If others are running it fine, then its not the OS.

Just because alot dont like the GUI, doesnt mean it doesnt work good.

When you re-install the drivers do you select clean install under custom install?

Secondly, have you tried re-linking your cables such as your HDMI, DVI etc.?

I did not re install the drivers with clean install under custom, will try that tonight.

Have 2 dvis going in but tried it with just one switiching them and still same problem.

@hagrid: I am not the biggest metro fan but so far windows 8 has been fine, I just stay in desktop mode most of the time and its fine.

Back