Problem with moving a Comp off the server.

Rahh

[H]ard|Gawd
On Windows XP pro..

I took a computer off of our server and hauled it to anouther office and now can get any files out of the my documents folder because its still looking for the previous domain it was on... I want to take it off the domain and to be able to access those files. It keeps looking for the server to bring up those files (tries to synchronize) which were never stored on the server in the first place but on the machine itself. There is two drives (Z: and Q: )under my computer also im not able to access because of this. As far as I know all the files and information I need are on the machine and not stored ont he server but since I took it off Im not able to access them.

I tried taking the machine back to the server and hooking it up so it synchronizes back up and I could burn the files but to no avail. It seemed to not want to access the server again and kept saying "could not connect" even though I could ping the server fine and on the server ping the computer fine. Makes no sense...

Anyone have any ideas?

You sound really lost, don't use windows AD much do you? Anyways, the z: and q: drives are some sort of mapped drives to the server. It depends on if they were locally mapped or mapped through a script to how you get them back.

First step, are you logining into the domain now that the machine is back on the domain network? That might take care of all your problems if you are not.

If you are logging into the domain, and still can't access the scares, then you will most likely have to recreate the network drive mappings.

Basically give some more info on what's happening and where your trying to get to and I can help some more.

When I took it off the server and set it up by itself on a new dsl line I changed the domain to workgroup instead and thats when crap hit the fan. When I changed it to workgroup I could not get it back to domain unless it was back on the server.

I got it back on domain and moved it again. Even though its back on domain the folders I need to access are still locked from me because It thinks im working Offline or off the server. The files I need are on the computer but I cant get to them because of the mapping I guess. Wondering if there is a way I can demote that domain and get it off the network it thinks it needs to be on to work.

I dunno...

Simple solution.

The files if they are stored locally must be on the hard drove, in a folder somewhere. So just go that folder!

If they are not there then they must be on the server!

*bumped*

Still haven’t resolved this issue. The files I’m seeking are stored in users my documents folder that keeps telling me access denied (note I’m logged on as admin) because it thinks I’m on the server and not the computer or something. I cannot log on to that user without switching it to work group and then logging on "this computer" instead of server. Once in work group and off the server and on that user I’m able to see the files but they wont open because they were originally mapped on the Z: and Q: drives on the computer that were shared with the others when it was on the network. I’m probably coming off real confusing but that’s what this matter is to me

Question is how to get these files that are obviously on the computer but locked from me because they are under a different users my documents, which that user is, not setup on the server. When taken off of the server and switched to "this computer" under that user I am able to see the files are there but not able to retrieve them because of the mapped drives which I guess point to the server?

I have no idea and any opinions what to do is appreciated.

edit: anyway to access a folder even though it says access denied? I am logged on the admin.

Rahh said:
edit: anyway to access a folder even though it says access denied? I am logged on the admin.

Yeah, take ownership of the user directory under c:\documents and settings\username then copy to your heart's content.

And you don't log on to the server, you log on to the domain. When you disjoined the domain all permissions that were associated with that user account were removed. Even though you are logging onto the system as the local administrator there are no permissions to access that user's directory...meaning that you have to take ownership or join the domain again and either log in as that user and nab the files or take ownership.

"Yeah, take ownership of the user directory under c:\documents and settings\username then copy to your heart's content."

and how would i go about that?

edit: nevermind got it! many thanks.

Back