Problem with laptop, battery not charging.

creedAMD

2[H]4U
And the ac power cord isn't powering up the laptop without the battery either.

I bought a new power cord for the laptop and same issue, so I'm thinking its something internal. It's a Toshiba Protege 3480ct. Should I just tell him to buy another laptop?

Thanks for any advice given.

the battery might be required to complete the curcuit. have you tried another battery? though if it was me i would be looking to upgrade to another laptop.

Nah, didn't try the battery because I figured it was a waste of money. It boots up, immediately comes up with the low battery indication in xp. Shows like 3%, then shuts down. The problem happened immediately.

there might be a function in bios that is something like recalibrate the battery not sure exactly what it does but hey might be worth a try.

Sounds to me like a problem with the AC adapter or charging circuit itself, hence why it won't run without a battery, and won't charge a battery. With the battery in and AC adapter connected do you get the charging light on the laptop.

I bought a new ac adapter and the same problem exists. It's like it isn't recognizing ac power at all.

yep, tried separate circuits in the house, with other things working fine in the same outlet.

seems fine to me, when the guy brought it to me I asked if anything had happened to it, he said no but it looks as if some panel is off of where the power connector hooks in as you can see in this pic. Would there be a fuse that I could check and see if it's blown?

IMG_5374.jpg

from what you can see there nothing looks broken but its whats inside that counts.. still think it might be a bad battery.

I'm still gonna say the charging circuit is bad/broken connection somewhere. I'm a laptop tech and it's quite rare, but does happen, especially with Toshiba. I've had countless bad Tecra 2000/2100/Satellite Pro's, and variants of the era, at work with power board failures, bad motherboards, video cards, and bad soldier joints. Total crap, Toshiba has to know about the problems, but refuses to admit or rectify them out of warranty.

Battery's aren't usually a culprit since most laptops will start with no battery, or a bad battery, just fine. You could try replacing it, but it could likely end up being a waste of money.

I think at this point it might just be better to replace the entire laptop. It can get expensive trying to purchase parts and replace them. Unless you really like that laptop, my answer is just to purchase a new one :(

Black-Tom said:
I think at this point it might just be better to replace the entire laptop. It can get expensive trying to purchase parts and replace them. Unless you really like that laptop, my answer is just to purchase a new one :(

i agree, its an old laptop isnt it? is yes then it would be a good idea

Back