Problem with Internet [H]elp!

So, recently I have been having some varying difficulty with my internet speed. The last couple of days my computer's internet has come to a crawl. There are times when it will work properly, but others where pages fail to load, but most of the time it is just damn slow. Sometimes I have to click a link 5 - 10 times before it responds, etc. I have NEVER experienced this with my computer before ( I have owned it for over 2 years ).

So, I am assuming you will want my connection info. I connect to High-Speed cable internet (Cox Communications) via a wired connection to a Linksys Router. Other computers that are also connected to this router are having no setbacks when surfing the internet, this computer is the only one that seems to be experiencing problems. I am running a Pentium 4 3.06GHz 1.5Gig Ram computer with plenty of HDD space. There are no connectivity problems, my sent/recieved bits in my connection activity fly along normally (currently ~ 1.5mil sent and ~ 5.7mil received). I can ping google.com with a 0% packet loss. I can download things at the normal rate, it is only when I am surfing the web that there is a problem.

My computer was not doing this up until a few days ago. I have never had problems like this before, and am worried that my computer might have caught a virus? I do not visit any hazardous or risky websites, I do not download any illegal software or music, I do not use Bit Torrents, I do not have Peer 2 Peer software (kazaa lite, etc). I have absolutely no idea why this slow internet has started.

I tried doing a system restore with no luck. I replaced the Ethernet cable. I have restarted the Modem a dozen times. I have checked my msconfig and task manager to make sure no invalid programs are currently running. I have run AdAware, I have defragmented, disk cleaned (cookies cache, etc). I have re-installed Firefox/Internet Explorer. Needless to say, none of this has worked. I am hoping someone out there with more knowledge on the subject can point me in the right direction. Thanks for your time and I hope you can help me out.

EDIT: after looking into it, I am receiving much more information in my connection activity than i am sending. Currently 2.8mill sent and 33.3mill received.

Have you tried running Ethereal during periods where it doesn't work? This will let you see what your machine is sending out on the wire at the time. This would be helpful.

have you tried to hook the modem direct to your pc?
to see if its the router
And remember cable sometimes are shared pipelines so at peek hrs when many people are on it may be a little slower. Do some different speed tests at non-peek hours and peek hrs to see if there any difference in your speed

-(Xyphox)- said:
have you tried to hook the modem direct to your pc?
to see if its the router
And remember cable sometimes are shared pipelines so at peek hrs when many people are on it may be a little slower. Do some different speed tests at non-peek hours and peek hrs to see if there any difference in your speed

very good suggestion. That's what I would try next.

Sorry for the delay (it took me awhile to find a time when my roomates were not using the internet). I have connected my computer directly through the modem, and am still experiencing the same problem. So, it is either on my end or my ISPs end. I will be calling them in a bit to see if they can resend my signal. I will let you know how that goes.

Also, my roomates internet usage does not suck up my bandwidth, they use it for browsing and gaming.

accessdenied said:
Sorry for the delay (it took me awhile to find a time when my roomates were not using the internet). I have connected my computer directly through the modem, and am still experiencing the same problem. So, it is either on my end or my ISPs end. I will be calling them in a bit to see if they can resend my signal. I will let you know how that goes.

Also, my roomates internet usage does not suck up my bandwidth, they use it for browsing and gaming.

Did you try the speedtests as suggested above? Can you post the results? Try running 5 in a row in quick succession at the 2 different time periods; It is hard to make a firm diagnosis without more information.

well, using the Cnet bandwidth tester I am and have been receiving normal bandwidth levels. ~ 4 to 5 mbps. Are you asking for a screen shot of the Ethereal client?

Also, after talking with my ISP, they have stated that I am experiencing a 10-30% packet loss when they pinged my IP. Although I did ping a few sites and recieved no losses, there must be some kind of conenctivity issue between my end and the ISP. They will be sending a techie out on thursday to examine the connections to the house as well as the modem. I am assuming that my best bet is to just wait it out till thursday, unless anyone has a suggestion?

Yeah that sounds network-side to me. Probably transient noise on the line. If they get good results at the NID make sure they do a home run for ya.

Back