Problem with HDMI on my XFX 5870

cmay119

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I'm having a weird issue with my video card.

Last night, I started streaming netflix on my computer, but wanted to bring the picture over to my HDTV, so I hooked it up via HDMI (my monitor is hooked up via DVI).

I went into CCC to have the desktop switch to "Monitor 2" which was the TV. In doing this, the TV didn't receive a signal. It also took the signal away from the DVI port, so my monitor wasn't getting a signal either.

I couldn't get the monitor to recall the signal, so I eventually resorted to resetting my computer.

From there, it would boot back up just fine with DVI, but if I had the HDMI cable plugged in, both monitors would go out after the splash screen for Windows 7 came up. Unplugging the HDMI cable would NOT send the signal back to the DVI out, again making me resort to resetting the PC.

Having just the TV plugged in would also resort in it displaying up until the splash screen, but would then lose signal when going to the desktop. The weird thing is, I wouldn't hear the Windows "welcome" chime when the monitors wouldn't display. So it seems like Windows is maybe having an issue loading with both monitors connected. Oddly there's zero issue with just DVI connected. I even did some gaming to make certain the card wasn't dying on me. It played without a hitch for the 30 or so minutes I played with it.

I'm wondering if this is a Hardware issue or possibly a driver issue? Or could it be a resolution issue?

My monitor is a 16:10 monitor so the resolution is 1920x1200. The TV is 1080p. I don't know why the video card would try to send a 16:10 resolution to the TV, however.

The drivers I'm using are the 11.3's (lastest on AMD.com).

I have an HDMI input on the monitor, I'll try that when I get home from work tonight, to see if that displays correctly.

The HDMI out has worked before from the video card to this TV, so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening now. The only change to the PC has been the driver's as far as I can recall. I may revert back to earlier one's to see if that fixes the issue... Could an unstable CPU overclock cause odd issues such as this (no overclock on the Videocard)?

Any other thoughts on this, guys? I'm hoping I'm just over-thinking this one.

Thanks in advance, all.

EDIT: Alright, I've tried reinstalling Cat 11.2's and that hasn't taken care of the issue. I hooked up my monitor via HDMI and it works through that, so I'm at a loss as to what's going on with my TV.

Perhaps it's a 'handshake' problem with HDCP? However, this is a 2010 model LG so I don't see HDCP getting in the way here... I've tried all 3 different HDMI inputs on the TV with the same result.

Last edited:
Back