Problem with Corsair PC 8500

B2BigAl

2[H]4U
I just picked up two 2 GB sets of xms2-8500 dominator, and neither one of them will work in my system (see sig). I tried just installing them in place of my ballistix, with no changes to the bios settings, because I figured they'd boot right up and then I could adjust the speed and timings in the bios. That was a no go, the system wouldn't even post. So, I reinstalled my ballistix, got into the bios and loaded the default settings (except changing the volts to 2.1 per the memory specs), reinstalled the corsair, and same thing, no post. So then I repeated the previous procedure again, except this time I manually set the memory timings and speed to 1066. This let me get all the way to the vista loading screen, before I got a BSOD.

Is there some magic trick to getting these things to work that I don't know about? Some issue with this mobo/ram combo I don't know about? It would be some seriously bad luck if I got two DOA sets, but that's all I can figure.

Does the P5Q Pro support that RAM? Check in the manual. You might also want to try doing a memtest.

Have you tried clearing the BIOS and posting with each single Corsair module?

So then I repeated the previous procedure again, except this time I manually set the memory timings and speed to 1066.

You'll need to set the voltage manually to either 2.1v or 2.2v, dependent upon the revision. Also, you may need to install VISTA with 2GB of memory, update to SP-1, and then install the other 2GB as VISTA needs a patch to run with 4GB of memory , pre SP-1.

Thanks for the help Mike, but it appears that each one of these sets has a DOA stick of ram. Initially I couldn't get either set to work, so I tried mixing and matching the sets until I got two of them to work together. All in all, I spent about an hour trying them out in different slots/combinations and the same two sticks keep causing the system to fail, it won't even try to post with them installed. I have to say I'm pretty surprised, I've never received a DOA stick of ram in the last 10 years, guess my luck just ran out.

Also, you may need to install VISTA with 2GB of memory, update to SP-1, and then install the other 2GB as VISTA needs a patch to run with 4GB of memory , pre SP-1.

If you slipstream SP1 into your Vista installation disk, you should be able to install straight away.

Back