Problem with AVG, Ccleaner, Quicktime & Win7.

mr. nails

Limp Gawd
fresh install and quicktime works as intended.

installed ccleaner and cleans all the bs as intended. quicktime still working.

install AVG and quicktime still works.

now, run ccleaner and it deletes something that makes ie8 not play quicktime any longer. all i get is a question mark (?) on the screen.

i tried this out on my other pc, but with vista installed and no problems.

anyone have ideas on how to pinpoint what file is being "deleted." lol, or maybe just don't use ccleaner? i have to uninstall both avg & quicktime and reinstall them for quicktime to work again, but once i run ccleaner again... u know the deal.

You could always get rid of Quicktime. Try QuickTime Alternative and see if that works better. Quicktime is like a virus...should be removed immediately!

i am using quicktime alternative. my fault... i'm just so used to using it i just call it quicktime. :p

i neglected to install firefox (being the only browser i actually use) on my win7 pc. all i had was ie8 installed. having said that... like i said in my previous post. in "vista" ie8 and ff both work properly after i've did the same actions i've did in win7.

AVG? Do yourself a favor man and get a decent AV ;)

Glad to see you got things fixed tho.

tbh, i've never had problems with AVG. i also know wtf not to click on. also, who said my problem was fixed? i didn't.

You could always get rid of Quicktime. Try QuickTime Alternative and see if that works better. Quicktime is like a virus...should be removed immediately!
You're right, quicktime is what's causing the problem, not using CCleaner that is deleting possibly system files and registry entries. I don't mean to be factious but come on.;)

The answer is to not use AVG, and use Microsoft Security Essentials instead. AVG 9.x is an especially bad release that introduces other problems besides the one you're experiencing. Notice in your sequence of events that the problem begins when you install AVG.

Don't hang onto sentiments about how good AVG used to be; it is now worse than useless.

playing on old pc with win7 be4 i install on main. so, after f'ing with the 3 progs for hours and trying to find out wtf the prob was i just formatted. lol, and that fixed it. everything works. no idea wtf the prob was. yeah, that's pretty no0b, but f it. works now.

hrm. ms security essentials, huh? well, already installed avg again and pc is running like a champ. upon next format i may try it out. thx 4 link. is it worth a damn or u just posting anti-AVG links?

playing on old pc with win7 be4 i install on main. so, after f'ing with the 3 progs for hours and trying to find out wtf the prob was i just formatted. lol, and that fixed it. everything works. no idea wtf the prob was. yeah, that's pretty no0b, but f it. works now.

hrm. ms security essentials, huh? well, already installed avg again and pc is running like a champ. upon next format i may try it out. thx 4 link. is it worth a damn or u just posting anti-AVG links?

No, it really is worth it. MSE is awesome. There are a ton of threads on it already. It's really fantastic. AVG isn't what it used to be; it's detection rate is lower than MSE and it's more bloated (and free of course as well). Why use second best? You're only cheating yourself.

Back