Problem with Audacity in Ubuntu Linux

I installed Audacity in Ubuntu Linux 14.4.3, but it won't start no matter what I try. Apparently there was a menu that popped up the first time it's ran asking you something that may have been important, but I closed it thinking it wasn't important and now it refuses to start. I've tried repairing the installation by using the command sudo apt-get -f install audacity or sudo apt-get --fix-broken install audacity, but that didn't help. Then, I tried sudo apt-get remove audacity and then reinstalling it with sudo apt-get install audacity, but it didn't fix the problem and it still does the same thing when attempting to run it. Can anyone help resolve this problem.

I installed Audacity in Ubuntu Linux 14.4.3, but it won't start no matter what I try. Apparently there was a menu that popped up the first time it's ran asking you something that may have been important, but I closed it thinking it wasn't important and now it refuses to start. I've tried repairing the installation by using the command sudo apt-get -f install audacity or sudo apt-get --fix-broken install audacity, but that didn't help. Then, I tried sudo apt-get remove audacity and then reinstalling it with sudo apt-get install audacity, but it didn't fix the problem and it still does the same thing when attempting to run it. Can anyone help resolve this problem.

Try opening audacity from a regular user command prompt to see the error messages.
Open up a terminal and either just type in audacity or, if you can't find it, "updatedb" and then "locate audacity".

Try opening audacity from a regular user command prompt to see the error messages.
Open up a terminal and either just type in audacity or, if you can't find it, "updatedb" and then "locate audacity".

Thanks atleast it started the audacity successfully, but program still won't start from the shortcut in the gui.

Thanks atleast it started the audacity successfully, but program still won't start from the shortcut in the gui.

It's possible the shortcut/activator/whatever has a parameter included that doesn't fly with your install.
Try making your own shortcut/activator and just type in "audacity" as the command.

It's possible the shortcut/activator/whatever has a parameter included that doesn't fly with your install.
Try making your own shortcut/activator and just type in "audacity" as the command.

I did that, but that's not how askubuntu says to create a shortcut/activator. Askubuntu actually says to run the following command:

gnome-desktop-item-edit --create-new ~/Desktop

, but first I had to run this command to install the panel:

sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

However, it didn't work and created a desktop shortcut instead of fixing the sidebar shortcut. Now what should I do?

Back