Problem where both computers cannot see each other on network.

mukow

n00b
A friend asked me for help setting up a shared printer on his laptop. The printer is connected to his desktop and shared on the network. The laptop cannot connect to the desktop. I narrowed it down to this, the desktop can ping the laptop, but the laptop cannot ping the desktop. I have been out of IT too long to remember all the steps I could take. The laptop is winxp home connecting on wifi and the desktop is wired. They can both connect to the internet and are on the same network with the same workgroup. I tried disabling the firewall and antivirus, but no luck. Any suggestions?

I should have mentioned the file and print sharing, but its turned on. I made sure they were on the same workgroup, too.

Desktop winxp or winvista?

From my experiences.... Accessing a printer on a xp comp from a vista comp is difficult. Vice Versa is relatively simple.

For diagnostic purposes, disable win firewall and all other firewalls.

As far as general connectivity goes (pinging).... like someone else said, they must be on the same workgroup. Try repairing the connection... ipconfig/renew will work too but it doesn't clear arp cache or anything (which shouldn't matter but w.e). Also try running a crossover cable and see if that works. Can they both get online?

Was date/time the issue? Took me forever to figure out that that was my issue once.

Back