Problem streaming media

visionviper

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have recently set up a server that I use for among other things my movies and music. All my computers connect through a wireless router. Now when I am using my desktop (see sig) I have problems streaming audio and video. It will cut out and be choppy. Now when I am using my Eee to stream media I have no issues at all. What gives?

Any ideas on what kind of things I need to look at/check?

1. What OS are you running?
  2. Have you tested out your onboard NIC?
  3. Have you tested your cable?
  4. Have you tried plugging your cable into another port on the router?

1. Windows XP Professional SP3
2. What kind of test should I run on my wireless NIC?
3. Cable from server to router is just fine (Server streams to my Eee without problems)
4. See 3

Removing and re-installing drivers did not help.

Just a note, the only problem I have noticed at all is this problem I am having streaming from my server. I haven't noticed any other problems with my desktop's network connection.

Are all of the computers next to each other? Ive had problems before streaming to my laptop wirelessly in my spare bedroom and then when I come out into the living room it works just fine. My wireless signal always said "Excellent" connection even when having issues.

**Note: Server and wireless router is in basement directly below living room...

When I tested it I had both my Eee and desktop in the same room. The Eee had no stuttering at all and my desktop was having all sorts of problems trying to stream a video.

I have noticed something new: sometimes when I am browsing the internet and doing something like streaming music from my server I have problems. It doesn't always affect it - but I have noticed that if a page is taking longer to load than usual music gets choppy.

Back