Problem setting up the P5K WiFi connection for the PS3

MrPatate

Gawd
Hi,

I'll say it right away I'm a newbie regarding wireless network and I don't have a lot of knowledge for wired network either. Its a shame since I'm pretty good for the rest of computer thingy...

Anyway!
I'm trying to setup a wifi access point with my P5K Deluxe on board wifi, to share my internet connection for my PS3.
The devide is enable, I installed the "Asus Wifi-AP Solo" software to control it, changed it from "Station Mode" to "Access Point". I tried WEP and WAP with password and it's at 802.11g/b and chose which ethernet connection to share. I've let the rest at "auto".

On my PS3, the console see the network(and some others), I choose mine(it's at 100%) and enter the password. Then it tries to perform the connection, exchange the password but after that it never gets an IP.

I'm sure it's a dumb thing, but I looked at the manual, checked on google, Asus forum, etc but never found a valid answer....

Help please!

61 view and no one has any suggestion or proposition!?!?
has anyone ever used this motherboard?

the AP software; it also acts as a DHCP server, correct?
maybe you need to setup Internet Connection Sharing on the PC also?

that would be my guess

I've never tried setting up a PC as an AP, but you will need some sort of DHCP server. In your case, you would need Windows Internet Connection Sharing setup, so that Windows knows to share the connection, and that it will need to provide an IP address to any connecting devices.

Unless the Asus software you're using does that... in which case.. maybe there's an option that's not checked that should be?

one last thing... have you tried without setting a WEP, WPA, or WPA2 key in the AP software? Leave it open, just to test?

the AP software; it also acts as a DHCP server, correct?
maybe you need to setup Internet Connection Sharing on the PC also?

that would be my guess

I've never tried setting up a PC as an AP, but you will need some sort of DHCP server. In your case, you would need Windows Internet Connection Sharing setup, so that Windows knows to share the connection, and that it will need to provide an IP address to any connecting devices.

Unless the Asus software you're using does that... in which case.. maybe there's an option that's not checked that should be?

one last thing... have you tried without setting a WEP, WPA, or WPA2 key in the AP software? Leave it open, just to test?

In the software, I've selected my internet connection so it knows which one to share. I try setting the AP for an open connection and even then the PS3 fails to obtain an IP.

When I open the properties of the Wifi connection it mentions DHCP enable, so I suppose its ok. I realized the IP in my wifi connection TCP/IP is the same that the one given by my router (192.168.0.1) for my internet connection, but in a command prompt with "ipconfig" it gives me another IP (169.X.X.X) for the wifi. I guess, since they are 2 distinct network, they should have two different IP, but why do I have two different IP for my wifi connection?

Strange thing now happening, when I try to set an IP other than 192.168.0.1(or if I click on the Advance setting button) in the wifi properties, everything thats related to connection settings freezes and I get a the wonderful "Send this error to Microsoft" window.
I might be due for a format...:eek:

maybe on the wireless NIC, in Windows, manually assign it an IP?

My guess for listing 2 IPs for the wireless NIC, is due to the adapter itself, and then another for the software AP.

edit: this might help! http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/Asus_P5WDH-Deluxe_WiFi_Manual.pdf

what IP is your hardwired NIC receiving? Maybe if they're both using the 192.168.0.x subnet, that could be the issue.
Most likely need to give the wireless 192.168.1.x

edit2: der, I see you already tried changing the IP. Strange. Maybe make sure the wireless has the latest drivers? if all else fails, uninstall and reinstall drivers?

maybe on the wireless NIC, in Windows, manually assign it an IP?

My guess for listing 2 IPs for the wireless NIC, is due to the adapter itself, and then another for the software AP.

edit: this might help! http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/Asus_P5WDH-Deluxe_WiFi_Manual.pdf

what IP is your hardwired NIC receiving? Maybe if they're both using the 192.168.0.x subnet, that could be the issue.
Most likely need to give the wireless 192.168.1.x

edit2: der, I see you already tried changing the IP. Strange. Maybe make sure the wireless has the latest drivers? if all else fails, uninstall and reinstall drivers?

Thank you for the manual, but I've already read it! I've got the lastest driver installed to.

I've kinda fixed my problem.

Since I couldn't change my Wifi IP(everything related to network adapter would crash.... I'll format soon lol). I changed the IP the router is giving to the computer for my network connection, and TA-DAH!!! My PS3 connects without a itch(well UDP isn't available, but I'll figure this one out after the format), I can go on the net, PS Store and make firmware update(holy crap they have added a lot of things, my last update was a year ago)!!!

sounds like it's because both adapters were getting(using) 192.168.0.x addresses.

makes sense

Back