Problem overclockng my i5 2500k on an MSI P67A G43

I ran 4.4 @ 1.30v while playing the new star wars game and everything was fine. Then I got a BSOD while trying to run prime95 right after playing star wars.

I use 3dmark11 and my score @ stock speed (3.3) was 4400 and with Overdrive on @ 3.7 I got a 4700. I'm going to try to run prime now @ 4.3 and @ 1.30v. I really don't want to go past 1.30v. Will update if I BSOD.

Ah dang I don't have 11. 4.3ghz might still be a bit much for 1.30v, but I may be mistaken :p.

Try using IntelBurnTest or Linx - sometimes Prime95 will throw errors even though nothing else will (even stuff like OCCT).

You can get a fixed beta 1.F BIOS here:

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=145403.0

The only BIOS missing CPU Voltage is 1.E which just got released. You need to register for a forum account to get to that link btw. Then you can just flash using M-Flash in the BIOS and a USB thumb drive.

I have the same board. Also note that MSI had already fixed the voltage problem in the 1.F BIOS before posting the (weeks old) 1.E BIOS to the web.

Last edited:
I had trouble getting my i5 overclock stable and I figured out it was the hellish vdroop from load on sandy bridges. Use a load level of 5 or vdroop correction to make your clocks more stable. 4.5 @ 1.3v is possible but unlikely. I'd recommend 1.35v as it won't cause too much more heat and will stabilize your overclock.

You will need 1.4v for anything above 4.6 from my experience and 4.8 is possible at 1.4v with a good chip. Good luck with your overclock.

I had trouble getting my i5 overclock stable and I figured out it was the hellish vdroop from load on sandy bridges. Use a load level of 5 or vdroop correction to make your clocks more stable. 4.5 @ 1.3v is possible but unlikely. I'd recommend 1.35v as it won't cause too much more heat and will stabilize your overclock.

You will need 1.4v for anything above 4.6 from my experience and 4.8 is possible at 1.4v with a good chip. Good luck with your overclock.

Mine reaches 4.8ghz with 1.420v but gets a tad over 70C. So I bumped it back down to 4.7ghz and it stays under.

Ah dang I don't have 11. 4.3ghz might still be a bit much for 1.30v, but I may be mistaken :p.
And you are right. Came home last night to a restarted computer :( I guess I'll keep bumping it up until it's stable @ 4.3 and see what my temps are then. I think so far my max temp I saw was 65.
Try using IntelBurnTest or Linx - sometimes Prime95 will throw errors even though nothing else will (even stuff like OCCT).
I heard about those. I was more interested in intelburntest. I might try that out after I run Prime again.
You can get a fixed beta 1.F BIOS here:

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=145403.0

The only BIOS missing CPU Voltage is 1.E which just got released. You need to register for a forum account to get to that link btw. Then you can just flash using M-Flash in the BIOS and a USB thumb drive.

I have the same board. Also note that MSI had already fixed the voltage problem in the 1.F BIOS before posting the (weeks old) 1.E BIOS to the web.
You have these 1.F drivers? I MAY go to 1.F, but everything seems to be flawless in 1.9, so why change? I know everyone says to have the most up to date BIOS, but last time I did that, my CPU voltage was gone and my motherboard decided to make a hissing sound :D

I read these boards like the low vdroop, but my PC would freeze or get BSOD. So I kept it at high and it's been fine since, except when I run prime.

Mine reaches 4.8ghz with 1.420v but gets a tad over 70C. So I bumped it back down to 4.7ghz and it stays under.
What do you have cooling your CPU? Do you game a lot? 1.42 seems high to me and I'd be too scared to take mine to that level, haha. What's a good voltage for 4.3 you think?

Edit: nvm just read your sig. I'm regretting getting my hyper n520, I heard the 212's are a better choice. Ohhhh well...

Last edited:
And you are right. Came home last night to a restarted computer :( I guess I'll keep bumping it up until it's stable @ 4.3 and see what my temps are then. I think so far my max temp I saw was 65.

I heard about those. I was more interested in intelburntest. I might try that out after I run Prime again.

You have these 1.F drivers? I MAY go to 1.F, but everything seems to be flawless in 1.9, so why change? I know everyone says to have the most up to date BIOS, but last time I did that, my CPU voltage was gone and my motherboard decided to make a hissing sound :D

I read these boards like the low vdroop, but my PC would freeze or get BSOD. So I kept it at high and it's been fine since, except when I run prime.

What do you have cooling your CPU? Do you game a lot? 1.42 seems high to me and I'd be too scared to take mine to that level, haha. What's a good voltage for 4.3 you think?

Edit: nvm just read your sig. I'm regretting getting my hyper n520, I heard the 212's are a better choice. Ohhhh well...

I have low vdroop on my motherboard and it doesn't give me any errors. You might still be falling short on the cpu voltage. And actually 1.42v is fairly reasonable. The max is 1.52v so I still have 0.1v before I hit that. I would say temps are more important until you start getting into much higher voltage, but if you can keep it under 70C, then you will be fine. I'm sure your n520 will keep it under at 1.4v with a 4.5ghz OC.

You'll get good life out of that CPU with 1.4v, though? Not running 24/7 I take it?

No, it does not run 24/7 lol. And from much research, people are saying that 1.4-1.45v is good even for 24/7 :D.

UPDATE: This new BIOS rocks, was able to tap down the voltage from 1.42 to 1.41v and keep my 4.7ghz OC, my temps went down by 3C :D and it's completely stable.

Last edited:
No, it does not run 24/7 lol. And from much research, people are saying that 1.4-1.45v is good even for 24/7 :D.

UPDATE: This new BIOS rocks, was able to tap down the voltage from 1.42 to 1.41v and keep my 4.7ghz OC, my temps went down by 3C :D and it's completely stable.

1.F?????????????

Haha, nice. I was hoping it was 1.F you were using. I want to make the jump, but if 1.9 is working perfectly then I guess there is no use to go to 1.F.

Haha, nice. I was hoping it was 1.F you were using. I want to make the jump, but if 1.9 is working perfectly then I guess there is no use to go to 1.F.

I'm going to have to read what the update has to offer before I make the jump. I couldn't get a 4.8ghz stable OC even with 1.425v. So I'm back to 4.7ghz with 1.410v and ram is still at 1866mhz stable.

very nice.

I'm going to up my volts until 4.4 is stable for me. I don't think I want to go any higher than that :D

4.3 @ 1.31

Been running prime for 30min now. Temps from 65 to 73. Not that good, but not bad either I guess...

Back