Problem overclockng my i5 2500k on an MSI P67A G43

GOD'SlittleSERVANT

Supreme [H]ardness
I followed this guide to the T... http://www.overclock.net/t/963798/msi-p67a-gd55-review-and-oc-guide

And when I boot into windows I turn on PC Winzard and my CPU voltage shoots to 1.35, my idling temp jumps from 29-32 C to 40-42 C then after my PC settles a bit, everything drops back to normal but my Frequency drops from 3300MHZ to 3292.32MHZ. Even in Windows basic information, it dropped from 3.30ghz to 3.29ghz. What did I do wrong? I remember overclocking my e8400 no problem.

The slight difference on the frequency is normal, it is just that the BCLK is a little off of 100 - nothing to be worried about. When you first boot into Windows the processor will be under a load for a while, so it is normal for the temps to go up a little before settling back down, and 40s is nothing to worry about, obviously. It sounds like you turned off power saving (C1E and EIST) for some reason - if you turn those back on, the chip will idle down to 1.6GHz.

I'll turn c1e and eist back on, but why does it still read 3.29 instead of 4.0? I turned everything back to default only cause I was a little worried, but I'll go through that guide again and see if I missed anything important. I wonder if my bio's is a little screwy?

I didn't see where you had set 4.0 - your OP said it went from 3.3 to 3.29, which would be pretty normal. If you set 4.0 and it is stuck at 3.3, then something isn't set correctly in the BIOS and it isn't registering the overclocked settings. Overclocking to that speed should be as simple as leaving everything on Auto and adjusting the maximum turbo multiplier to 40 (but I'm not positive of the actual settings for the MSI board).

Did you disable Turbo boost? If so, try re-enabling it. I'd say the preferred way of overclocking SB is to just change the turbo multipliers so when the chip turbos up, it goes to the overclocked multiplier instead of the standard ones. There is also the option, on some boards, of setting the CPU ratio manually, which should also work but is a less elegant solution.

Alternatively, you can install the Control Center application, and just overclock from in Windows, which works really well with SB also.

Honestly, that guide is kind of complicated for the Sbridge. I would restore defaults and just change the multi to 40 or 42 to start. I don't think any of the other changes are needed at this level. Try that and let us know how it is working.

Also, what cooler are you using and memory and such...

Did you disable Turbo boost? If so, try re-enabling it. I'd say the preferred way of overclocking SB is to just change the turbo multipliers so when the chip turbos up, it goes to the overclocked multiplier instead of the standard ones. There is also the option, on some boards, of setting the CPU ratio manually, which should also work but is a less elegant solution.

Alternatively, you can install the Control Center application, and just overclock from in Windows, which works really well with SB also.

I enabled it and disabled it. I'm going to try with the bio's one more time and if it doesn't work, I'll use the Control Center application.

Honestly, that guide is kind of complicated for the Sbridge. I would restore defaults and just change the multi to 40 or 42 to start. I don't think any of the other changes are needed at this level. Try that and let us know how it is working.

Also, what cooler are you using and memory and such...

I tried that before using that guide and it did the same thing. I installed my Hyper n520 yesterday.

JUST REMEMBERED I accidentally installed AMD overdrive (I KNOW I KNOW) thinking it was the ATI overdrive. I got the blue screen of death and uninstalled in safemode after doing some tweaks to the reg. Didn't run drive sweeper, though. Do you think this could be the cause of the issue? Going to run the drive sweeper in safemode when I get home and get everything out AMD.

Shouldn't be - Windows shouldn't be using drivers, etc, that don't comply with the current hardware. My guess is still some kind of BIOS setting that is incorrect - just not sure which one. Could be the "allow changes in OS" - if that is enabled the OS may be overriding the BIOS setting for the overclock.

Still didn't work, what the hell is going on?!

CPU-Z readings

CPU-1.png

Ram.png

Mainboard.png

Ramslot2.png

ramslot4.png

And now I'm getting this very small noise which sounds like it's either coming from the CPU or the fan..

Anything in those CPU-Z readings look wrong?

Awesome, just read the CPU whistling sound is due to high temps. This keeps getting better and better. Going to restore everything back to default now.

Temps are reading as followed...

Temps.png

So how am I having temp problems?!

I alt tabbed out of a game really quick with everything set back to default and noticed in CPUZ that my core speed was up to 3.6 something, so I know the turbo is working. Maybe the tools don't read my frequency but they're still up? I'll change my multiplier to 40 and run a game again and see if it jumps past 3.7.

What was that small whistling sound coming from my cpu, though? It was only when I had the multiplier set to 42. At stock, there is no sound...

Run Prime95 or IBT while watching CPU-z, that'll tell you your load frequency and voltage, since it'll be different than idle (with powersaving enabled). The whistling could be coil whine coming from the PSU, they sometimes make a little noise under the right load. Shouldn't be anything about overclocking that would make anything make noise.

Use the normal, non-GT version of RealTemp. The one you are using is for Gulftown processors - not sure if it is different or not, but the regular one works fine for SB.

I have the same motherboard, I had turbo disabled when i first upped my multi to 47. Vcore at 1.420. Turbo is on now. It should have changed with just that change in the multi and proper voltage. That's all mine took to overclock. That and making sure to save and restart after.

Alright, got it to 4.0ghz without the hissing sound. I change it to 4.2 and the hissing sound comes back. Set it back to 4.0 and it goes away again. I've been reading and its most likely my mobo. Alice, question. Is the pch 1.05 setting in the bios to change the voltage?

Currently running prime right now. Everything seems good so far. Ill use the regular real temp after I'm done watching this movie.

Should be called CPU Voltage or something similar. Whatever they call it, it is not PCH voltage, not VCCSA, and not VCCIO, all of which are also probably there.

I didn't see the vcore option in my bios settings.

Yeah sorry habit calling it vcore from the C2D era.. Lemme check that for you.

EDIT: These are what mine are set at in the overclocking section. Also check your "green power" section of your bios and check to see if C1E is disabled. I read somewhere that disabling that can fix some issues.
CPU Core Voltage @ 1.420v manually set
Vdroop @ auto
PCH 1.05 @ auto
PLL overvolt @ auto
Multiplier @ 47

Also in reply to an earlier post of yours, I do not see anything wrong with those temps. If you just have cpuz open the processor can idle at 1.5ghz if you set the vdroop to low and have turbo enabled. Correct me if I am wrong I'm going off memory from an article I read on overclocking these things. I personally use coretemp and watch my temps on these as well as the frequency. I downloaded cpuz and mine says 4.689ghz with a core voltage of 1.416v.

Also if you havn't already here's a link to the MSI download page for updated BIOS. http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-G43--B3-.html#/?div=BIOS

Last edited:
Yeah sorry habit calling it vcore from the C2D era.. Lemme check that for you.

EDIT: These are what mine are set at in the overclocking section. Also check your "green power" section of your bios and check to see if C1E is disabled. I read somewhere that disabling that can fix some issues.
CPU Core Voltage @ 1.420v manually set
Vdroop @ auto
PCH 1.05 @ auto
PLL overvolt @ auto
Multiplier @ 47

Also in reply to an earlier post of yours, I do not see anything wrong with those temps. If you just have cpuz open the processor can idle at 1.5ghz if you set the vdroop to low and have turbo enabled. Correct me if I am wrong I'm going off memory from an article I read on overclocking these things. I personally use coretemp and watch my temps on these as well as the frequency. I downloaded cpuz and mine says 4.689ghz with a core voltage of 1.416v.

Also if you havn't already here's a link to the MSI download page for updated BIOS. http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-G43--B3-.html#/?div=BIOS

Yeah, my CPU core voltage option is GONE! You know what, I think I may need to update my bios to version 1.D. I updated using the live software, but I don't think it updated me all the way. Where in the BIOS does it say my bios version?

I disabled C1E and everything worked fine. I then set my vdroop to low and my computer would freeze. So I disabled that again and everything is fine again. My voltage is set to auto I think because it shoots way up to 1.3 something even when my multiplier is set to 40. I'm hoping my bios isn't updated and that 1.D will fix everything and show the CPU core voltage again.

*crosses fingers and counts down the working hours*

Edit : Alice, you have the 1.D version? I could have sworn my Live Update says I currently have 1.E0....

Last edited:
Yeah, my CPU core voltage option is GONE! You know what, I think I may need to update my bios to version 1.D. I updated using the live software, but I don't think it updated me all the way. Where in the BIOS does it say my bios version?

I disabled C1E and everything worked fine. I then set my vdroop to low and my computer would freeze. So I disabled that again and everything is fine again. My voltage is set to auto I think because it shoots way up to 1.3 something even when my multiplier is set to 40. I'm hoping my bios isn't updated and that 1.D will fix everything and show the CPU core voltage again.

*crosses fingers and counts down the working hours*

Edit : Alice, you have the 1.D version? I could have sworn my Live Update says I currently have 1.E0....

I have the version that came with the motherboard, I was actually trying to flash lastnight, but I am having the worst time flashing the bios from a usb. Just keeps saying not a correct file or command when I try to launch the ROM. I'll have to try the live update. Though I'm having booting problems now so I think I may have to repair windows first. It never even got to the point of flashing so I don't understand why I am having boot issues. I'll check my version number, and repair windows and get back to you when that is done.

Cool, lmk. Did you change your USB to fat32 instead of NTFS?

Edit And I wouldn't suggest using Live Update. I think the update I got from live update is what fu**ed my bios up...

Last edited:
Cool, lmk. Did you change your USB to fat32 instead of NTFS?

Edit And I wouldn't suggest using Live Update. I think the update I got from live update is what fu**ed my bios up...

Yes, formatted as FAT32 and used this program I got from a tutorial to make it bootable since the windows format would not let me choose to make it a bootable disk. Thing was, when I got to the C:\> prompt, it kept saying invalid file or command. Never had so much trouble flashing BIOS. Have plenty of experience from doing it on my ASUS G73JH laptop when I had it.

My BIOS version is v1.11 right now. But my computer is currently broke, I either get this screen full of errors thats black, or it gets stuck on starting windows. Same thing when trying to repair windows, it either gets stuck or it auto restarts and doesn't finish. Idk what happened, guess I'm going to have to wait until I go back to my home town today and bring it with me and repair using my windows disk.

Jesus christ... now I'm scared to flash again. Try resetting your jumper?

The CMOS reset button is on the back I/O panel. Already reset my CMOS, unless there's a jumper on the motherboard I missed in the book lol. And don't be scared I'm sure it is just the stupid tutorial I was reading to refresh my memory.

yeah, some of those tutorials out there don't work. LMK if you get it working and what you did.

I hope that 1.D version is the version I need... not having a manual set CPU voltage option is really frustrating, especially when my voltage is running at 1.35 @ 4.0ghz.

If you are only overclocking to 4.0 or 4.2, there is no need to mess with the Vcore. The Auto Vcore on the board will handle that overclock just fine.

Over a 1.5 billion hours of research, i found this....

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=148746.0

Dude was having problems after updating to the latest bios. Reverted back to 1.9 and everything is gravy again, so I think I'm going to do the same thing when I get home. I have version 1.E and 1.E isn't even listed on the boards bio download page, so I'm assuming it was a junk update and they just tossed it, lol.

He asked why 1.9 works and not the higher versions? And someone responded with...

Because MSI BIOS Engineers broke something since this 1.A [included] and above,
and for some reason it doesn't work for your config/combo of the parts used:

Quote from: jellyman223 on 16 May 11, 19:50:11
# CPU brand, model and speed Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
# Motherboard model MSI P67A-G43 (B3) (NVIDIA VGA BIOS KK1) USING MSI Live Update for VGA
# Memory brand, type/speed, size, number of sticks Patriot Gamer 2 Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

# Video card brand, chipset type, memory size MSI N570GTX-M2D12D5/OC GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5
# Hard drive(s) brand, size, type, speed SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
# Operating system and version (including if 32 or 64bit!) Window 7 Professional x64
# Power Supply Unit brand and output in watts COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171053

My same CPU, board and ram. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..........

Over a 1.5 billion hours of research, i found this....

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=148746.0

Dude was having problems after updating to the latest bios. Reverted back to 1.9 and everything is gravy again, so I think I'm going to do the same thing when I get home. I have version 1.E and 1.E isn't even listed on the boards bio download page, so I'm assuming it was a junk update and they just tossed it, lol.

He asked why 1.9 works and not the higher versions? And someone responded with...

My same CPU, board and ram. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..........

I updated to v1.7 and am able to boot into windows now. But I can't OC past 4.4ghz due to not being able to adjust the voltage past 1.35v so BIOS v1.9 sounds fantastic right now lol.

I had to flash by typing AFUDE234 E7673IMS.170 in the DOS prompt.
These are the files I have so you have to replace with the names of your files of course. Time to flash again. Flash to V1.9 and report your findings I will be doing the same.

UPDATE: Flashed to v1.9 just now, everything is working perfectly, OCed back to 4.7ghz with my voltage at 1.420v with low vdroop.

Last edited:
After I boot to my usb and the dos prompt comes up, do I type this in?

F:\E7673v1x>afud4234 E7673IMS.190

and that's it?

Last edited:
After I boot to my usb and the dos prompt comes up, do I type this in?

F:\E7673v1x>afud4234 E7673IMS.190

and that's it?

I copied the files into the drive so there was no folder. But that looks right. If it doesnt work take them out of the folder to the root of the drive. So it will basically look like
F:\>afud4234 E7673IMS.190

Then hit enter and let it finish. It might restart on its own, I've had flashes in the past restart on their own, this is the first that I had to push to button after it finished to restart.

Alright, reverted back to 1.9 and my CPU voltage option came back! Alice, on our board, there is a utility called M flash, use that next time you need to flash your bios... which I'm hoping will be never. I put the 1.9 files on the usb, went into bios, settings and used that M flash. Piece of cake!

Changed to 42 multiplier and manual set at 1.225V, spread spec to disabled (when enabled i get 99.8mhz FSB) and disabled turbo boost and no c state. Ran for a min or two then blue screened. Went back in and enabled turbo, no limit for c state, disabled overspeed protection and I think that's it. Running right now for a solid 10min and no problems at all.

Running 42 right now idling at 1.60mhz with vcore of 1.208 with a min temp of 29 and max temp of 39 using realtemp 3.60.

Everything right now looks pretty solid. I'm going to run some prime before I head out for my buddies birthday and let it sit the time I'm out. If I come back no problems, I might bump it up to 44 :D

MSI p67a g43 users... beware, DO NOT UPGRADE TO LATEST BIOS! 1.9 = perfect.

EDIT Just blue screened -_- went back to 40 and now it's running at a constant 4ghz. No speed step... WTF?

Last edited:
1.225 might be too low a voltage for that clock speed. Try a higher voltage until you get it stable, and then back the voltage down in steps. Easier that way.

1.225 might be too low a voltage for that clock speed. Try a higher voltage until you get it stable, and then back the voltage down in steps. Easier that way.

ok, will do.

UPDATE set to 1.270.

Ill update later if I BSOD or not.

Last edited:
Alright, reverted back to 1.9 and my CPU voltage option came back! Alice, on our board, there is a utility called M flash, use that next time you need to flash your bios... which I'm hoping will be never. I put the 1.9 files on the usb, went into bios, settings and used that M flash. Piece of cake!

Changed to 42 multiplier and manual set at 1.225V, spread spec to disabled (when enabled i get 99.8mhz FSB) and disabled turbo boost and no c state. Ran for a min or two then blue screened. Went back in and enabled turbo, no limit for c state, disabled overspeed protection and I think that's it. Running right now for a solid 10min and no problems at all.

Running 42 right now idling at 1.60mhz with vcore of 1.208 with a min temp of 29 and max temp of 39 using realtemp 3.60.

Everything right now looks pretty solid. I'm going to run some prime before I head out for my buddies birthday and let it sit the time I'm out. If I come back no problems, I might bump it up to 44 :D

MSI p67a g43 users... beware, DO NOT UPGRADE TO LATEST BIOS! 1.9 = perfect.

EDIT Just blue screened -_- went back to 40 and now it's running at a constant 4ghz. No speed step... WTF?

You definately need more voltage. I read your newer post too that looks good for the speed you are at though if you start to bump it more I know if you plan to try for 4.7 like I have you will need at least 1.415v. If you plan to go over 4.4ghz I suggest above 1.390v. Glad you are making progress though :)!

Would you mind running 3dmark06 (free version) if you have it once you get stable? I scored 22k with my setup and I was expecting more since I've seen C2Q setups with a gtx285 hit the same score. My C2d setup is now my GF's comp in my sig and it hit 17k with the gtx285. Guess I was expecting too much from the SB upgrade?

You definately need more voltage. I read your newer post too that looks good for the speed you are at though if you start to bump it more I know if you plan to try for 4.7 like I have you will need at least 1.415v. If you plan to go over 4.4ghz I suggest above 1.390v. Glad you are making progress though :)!

Would you mind running 3dmark06 (free version) if you have it once you get stable? I scored 22k with my setup and I was expecting more since I've seen C2Q setups with a gtx285 hit the same score. My C2d setup is now my GF's comp in my sig and it hit 17k with the gtx285. Guess I was expecting too much from the SB upgrade?

I ran 4.4 @ 1.30v while playing the new star wars game and everything was fine. Then I got a BSOD while trying to run prime95 right after playing star wars.

I use 3dmark11 and my score @ stock speed (3.3) was 4400 and with Overdrive on @ 3.7 I got a 4700. I'm going to try to run prime now @ 4.3 and @ 1.30v. I really don't want to go past 1.30v. Will update if I BSOD.

Back