Problem OCing Ryzen 5 1600 + Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 (noob)

NormanG14

n00b
So last night I installed the Cryorig H7 onto my Ryzen 5 1600 thinking it would lower my temps. After some testing (aida64) at stock speeds I find that the temperatures I'm getting are the same that others are getting using the stock cooler. I was hoping that this cooler would allow for some cooler overclocking but even at 3.6ghz the temps start going past 80c within minutes. I tried following this R5 1600 OC guide but it only lead to more overheating. I feel the temperatures I'm getting are disproportionate to the overclocks. Any ideas on how to lower my temps when overclocking? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my specs:
Ryzen 5 1600
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 3200
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze
NZXT S340 ATX Mid
two 120mm intake fans in the front, one 120mm exhaust fan in the back, and another 120mm fan exhaust at the top

I honestly don't know; I'd assume that Gigabyte has something that can play with clocks and voltages live. Check their website under your board, should be linked.

Ninja edit: quick google away, but I was curious myself, haven't owned Gigabyte in a while: http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-10#support-dl
My bios is of the latest version. I have not tried any OCing software before. Is OCing in a software better than manually OCing? Right now I prefer manually OCing

My bios is of the latest version. I have not tried any OCing software before. Is OCing in a software better than manually OCing? Right now I prefer manually OCing

Well, software OC'ing is faster. Make change, test immediately without reboot. I can't definitively say better, but you should be able to put the values you find with software into the UEFI.

Also, keep your voltages as low as possible. Voltage is the chief driver of heat during your overclock. I have seen people report stable overclocks at everywhere from 1.2v (for the Silicon Lottery winners) to 1.4v. Heat seems to really spike hard on these chips starting at ~1.35v

Also, keep your voltages as low as possible. Voltage is the chief driver of heat during your overclock. I have seen people report stable overclocks at everywhere from 1.2v (for the Silicon Lottery winners) to 1.4v. Heat seems to really spike hard on these chips starting at ~1.35v
Yeah I usually leave voltages to auto but it still ends up overheating even though voltages read as 1.2

ah that's what I was looking for, that's the issue; auto voltage. you need to set it manually and start testing until you get it low and stable at whatever speed you're shooting for. and yeah I agree, repeat your cooler, makes sure your paste is good etc.

ah that's what I was looking for, that's the issue; auto voltage. you need to set it manually and start testing until you get it low and stable at whatever speed you're shooting for. and yeah I agree, repeat your cooler, makes sure your paste is good etc.
The first time I installed the cooler I saw the awful temps so I reinstalled it and reapplied the paste using the pea method. I saw a small improvement but I'm not so sure if it's the cooler that sucks or what.

The first time I installed the cooler I saw the awful temps so I reinstalled it and reapplied the paste using the pea method. I saw a small improvement but I'm not so sure if it's the cooler that sucks or what.
Wow did the AMD people forget the RYZEN Master software?
AMD gotta love that!!!

did a few R5-1600x, all went 4G using AMD Master, temps vary depending on cooler but even the one next to me, cooler was 17,95€ runs 4G with ~80°C max, the Noctua D14-AM4 cooled one is considerably cooler running, but the cooler is 4x the price.

I just built them as ordered, I would either DIY-WC them or Noctua for the silence

Older versions of Ryzen Master required disabling protection features in Windows to run, so I just never really thought about it. Just downloaded the current build now, and it seems that is no longer the case.

Back