Problem installing Windows XP- Says It Can't Locate Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Ancient_Dragon, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Ancient_Dragon

Ancient_Dragon n00b

Okay, so I have a recent laptop I bought. It came with Windows Vista. Well I decided after trying it for a while, that I wanted to switch back to XP for now. So I bought an XP disc off NewEgg. So I open it up, and put it in the drive, and then restart my computer.

Thats where the problem occurs. It goes through the whole routine of inspecting the computers hardware. Then gives me the option of installing XP or trying to repair an installation. So I of course chose to install it. Then it says, it can't install cause there is no hard drive installed. Why is it reading that error? And is there any way to fix it?

I mean I obviously have a hard drive installed and working. Cause vista is running on that hard drive. So I don't get whats going on. Any help?

2. Violator

Violator Gawd

You'll need RAID/SATA drivers installed first most likely. You might have got a floppy disk with your mobo with them on it, or you can download them usually. Right when XP first starts to install, you press F6 to install additional drivers, it'll ask for the floppy disk later. It should then see the HDD.

3. Grimmda

Grimmda 2[H]4U

Now you'll probably say "This is a new laptop, there's no floppy!"

And the answer back is: Get a USB floppy like this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16821118001

Put the drivers needed to see the drive on it and hit F6 like he said. THEN you'll run into problems with the GUI install (If I recall) because it won't see your floppy drive, so burn the drivers on CD and let it read them on the GUI install off the CD.

That's probaby the easiest way to go. Sure some people will come on here and say "use Nlite" to build a copy of XP yada yada, and the thread will get real big with you being distracted...

Good luck.