Problem installing ME on a Gateway

Claydus

Weaksauce
Ok so my uncle's Gateway has been acting up on him. Come to find out it's the hard drive. So I bought another one today. A WD 40 gig, basically the same model. So I run fdisk with a 98se bootdisk and i create a partision. I didn't enter a voluime label. I exited out of fdisk and reboot and insert a gateway system restoration disk. I select start with cdrom support. So I type in E: and then Setup and then "Bad command or file name" pops up.

It's been a while since I reinstalled Win ME onto a machine but whats the deal here? Shouldn't it load the Windows Me installer? I have entered Setup in A:, D:, and E: but I always get Bad command or file name.

I have booted from the cd itself a came to a menu to either select DOS Prompt or NT 4.0 driver locator. So i selected DOS prompt and it comes up to a D:\DOS> prompt. I have no idea what to do from here. I typed in Setup and got Bad command or file name. Where do i go from here?

Could someone please help?

:confused:

Can you check the CD and see if it has the Win9X folder on it?

In that folder there should be setup.exe....
try copying the Win9x folder from the CD (if its there) to the newly formatted hard drive..then boot into DOS and install from C:\Win9x\setup.exe

if your CD isnt a windows CD adn is only a restore disk...it might not let you install like you want.

If you need a Me CD, let me know, or XP, or 2000

All I have are 3 restoration disks. None of them have a setup file under a Win9x folder. I think i might be missing a disk. I look for it later on at my uncles house.

If I remember correctly, ME had a strange command like 'install' or something. I know it was different than win98....but then again it's been years :)

Back