Problem getting USB 2.0 on NF7-S 2.0

icthus13

2[H]4U
I am having trouble getting windows to recognize USB 2.0 on my Abit NF7-S rev. 2. It doesn't say anything about USB 2 controllers in the device manager and when I plug in a USB 2.0 device, it says "Warning: you have plugged a Hi-speed USB device into a low-speed hub" and that performance will suffer and whatnot. Can anyone help me? System specs follow:

Windows XP Professional with SP1
AMD Barton 2500+ @ 3000+
Abit NF7-S rev. 2.0 (with latest bios and drivers)
1 gig generic PC2700
Radeon 9500 softmod to Pro
SB Audigy 1
Maxtor 120 gig HDD
I think that covers anything relevant...

Go into device manager, find the USB driver in DM, and have Windows update them.

Make sure you have SP1 installed and run windows update. There was a fix for the Nforce 2 mobos.

SP1 is installed and windows is totally updated. Also latest driver revision and bios in motherboard. Anything else I can try?

Actually, I can give you some insight into the USB 2.0 problems on nForce-based motherboards:

My USB 1.1 devices have always run abnormally slow on those nForce2 USB ports (in particular, those on the NF7-S V2 mobo). On my game controller, I press a button and hold it, only to have nothing happen until about 5 to 10 seconds later. And I had to keep holding the button to even get the action to occur at all - otherwise, if I let go of the button, nothing ever happened. (It happens regardless of the fixes and updates installed.) There is a bug in the NF7-S's USB controller, or that mobo's implementation of USB in particular. There are only two ways around that problem: Either buy a PCI USB 2.0 card, or switch to a mobo that uses a Via chipset instead of the nForce2.

I had the same problem with my nf2 based Shuttle sff board
Used USB 2.0 drivers from from mb install disk, problem solved

Back