Problem Activating Windows XP Pro

StanDaMan

n00b
This is my first post here, but I have been browsing this forum for a while and I have found that the community is very helpful and knowledgeable. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ok here is my problem.

When I built my computer, i didnt have another copy of Windows XP so i used a reinstall disk from a Dell we had. After the 40 days or whatever that I had to activate it, it wont let me log on until I type in the activation code and register / activate it. Well, I tried the key from the Dell. That didn't work. I bought a fully legit copy of XP Pro from Office Depot and tried to use that key. That didn't work. I cannot log on until I activate it. Is there anything i can do besides reformat? And if reformatting is the only option, can i have a link to a walkthrough, because I have never had to do so before. Thanks in advance

djnes

Fully [H]
Nope, your going to have to reformat, and use the version you just bought. A Dell version, if it would even install, would still be an OEM versions, meaning your new retail key will not work. Also, unless it's installed on a Dell, it's not legal anyway.

I would reformat and re-install using your new retail version, and everything will work fine.

Oh, and welcome aboard.

StanDaMan

n00b
Thanks for the quick response. I don't mean to sound like a total 'noob' but how exactly do I go about reformating? I have never done it before, so i want to do it right.
Thanks

djnes

Fully [H]
Boot from the CD you just bought, and follow the instructions. You'll come to a spot where you can partition the drive. Assuming you have no data you need to back up, you can delete all partitions and create a new one for your C drive...however you want that partitioned. If you have unallocated space, save it for after XP is installed, and then you can turn that space into a D drive, or whatever letter you prefer.

StanDaMan

n00b
Do I just insert the CD at the Log On screen? Or should I do it from safe mode, or what? Sorry to be picky but I want to make sure I do it right.

djnes

Fully [H]
You want to boot from it. Put it in the drive, and go into the BIOS to make sure your PC is ready to boot from a CD. Then, when it says hit any key to enter setup....hit any key.

StanDaMan

n00b
Alright, thanks. I will let you know how it works when i get home (Yea yea school sucks :rolleyes: ). Thanks for the help again.

Sid

Limp Gawd
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried a repair install with the new os under these conditions?

djnes

Fully [H]
Sid said:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried a repair install with the new os under these conditions?

I haven't tried, but if I had to guess, it would have a higher chance of instability.

djnes

Fully [H]
What motherboard do you have? I can't remember how long it's been since a computer was made that couldn't boot from CD.

feelx77

Limp Gawd
You may not even need to go into the bios to boot from the CD only 1 time.

If that neo2 plat is an MSI (Microstar) board then it may have a hotkey you can use to temporarily boot from CD.

My board is a recent MSI motherboard & if I hit the "F11" key right as it finishes posting the BIOS screen but right before Windows attempts to load......it will then show me a small blue popup box asking which device I want to boot from like floppy, cd-rom, harddrive etc. This is not permanet and was specifically added into my board for situations like yours.

Since I own a different MSI board I figured your brand new MSI board should allow the same hotkey option.

Simply try hitting "F11" the key not "F" then "1","1"

It is either "F11" or "F10" that brings the boot options up for you.

Good luck

djnes

Fully [H]
StanDaMan said:
any guess to where the option would be?

Not to sound rude here, but you have to be willing to do something yourself. This is why these boards come with manuals. It shouldn't ever come to opening the manual just to change a boot order, as you really should be able to find it in the BIOS yourself. Boot order settings are never hidden.

hulksterjoe

older and wiser now
get into the the bios and when the bios comes up it be the 2nd choice on the left columm.. go in to it and then look for BOOT SEQUENCE /..change it then save and exit back on the main screen and reboot.,.

Sorry I can remember what that 2nn line is.. advanced something maybe