probably an easy/dumb question, but...

b1m2x3

2[H]4U
in winxp, is there any way to format,but leave select files on the computer?

or is there any way to just re-install the OS but leave all the other stuff i have on my c: drive?

no to the format question

Yes to the other. Stick in your XP CD and select the option to upgrade the current windows install. Leaves everything but the OS intact.

you could just ghost everything onto another hdd, or just the files you want...

but no to the first question.

Not enless you have 2 partitions on one hard drive with the OS on one and your data on another......

damnit.. i just moved my other hdd to my ftp server.

that would be such a good feature... selective formatting

If you format you lose everything, but there is a way to reinstall completely without removing the Documents and Settings, Program Files, and other directories on there. I did it once, but my memory is a bit fuzzy. When you boot from the CD, and it detects your current instalation, hit ESC and chose the existing partiton. I think it will ask if you want to format the partition or leave it alone. If you chose to leave it alone it will delete your windows directory but leave everything else alone.

hmmm... i guess ill give this stuff a try

hope there are good data recovery programs. hehe

jimnms said:
but there is a way to reinstall completely without removing the Documents and Settings, Program Files, and other directories on there. I did it once, but my memory is a bit fuzzy....
See my post above

lomn75 said:
See my post above

I saw your post, you said...

lomn75 said:
Yes to the other. Stick in your XP CD and select the option to upgrade the current windows install. Leaves everything but the OS intact.

...which isn't the same thing. You told him to chose to upgrade the OS, the way I described is different, it completely removes the old WinXP installation without formatting the HD.

jimnms, you realize your arguing about the same thing. An inplace upgrade is another term for it, there is really only one way to do this with the XP CD that doesn't obviously delete your partition. The only other option from booting the XP disk would give you the recovery console.

You should always partition your disk for your OS and then all you files like pictures, media and what not. I've yet to have a Windows partition last longer than 1 year.

I strongly second carloswill's suggestion. Make WXP its own little 5-6GB partition. That makes it easier to Ghost the windows partition and protects the important stuff, your data files. FWIW, by backups consist of Ghosting the Windows partition and duping data partition to DVD-RW. 4.5GB is plenty for the important stuff, like email and work.

Of course, all the music, video and games don't come anywhere near fitting on DVD's, so those are just at risk. But, backing up that much data is a whole new problem.

Phoenix86 said:
jimnms, you realize your arguing about the same thing. An inplace upgrade is another term for it, there is really only one way to do this with the XP CD that doesn't obviously delete your partition. The only other option from booting the XP disk would give you the recovery console.

The upgrade is not the same thing I described. I have done both before. If you do the upgrade/repair option, it installs XP over the old install. It still leave your files in place, and you do not have to reinstall programs.

What I described is the closest thing to formatting without actually formatting. You get a clean install of XP, but it does not delete your files (other than the window directory), but you will have to reinstall programs because it is a clean install of XP.

jimnms said:
The upgrade is not the same thing I described. I have done both before. If you do the upgrade/repair option, it installs XP over the old install. It still leave your files in place, and you do not have to reinstall programs.

What I described is the closest thing to formatting without actually formatting. You get a clean install of XP, but it does not delete your files (other than the window directory), but you will have to reinstall programs because it is a clean install of XP.
When you boot the XP CD, you can do 4 things.

Format/install.
Install to a new directory.
Repair the existing install.
Recovery console.

I know what your describing is the bolded one. Which of these do you think lomn75's post is describing?
Even MS calls it an upgrade...
In-place Upgrade

The one I'm describing is not the repair instalation. :rolleyes: Like I said before, you do like your going to do a fresh install, when it asks you to select the partition, you select the one with XP currently on it. It will warn you that there is already an XP install on it and ask you if you want to repair it or contine a fresh install. You tell it to continue with the install, then it prompts you with the options on formatting the partition. You get the options to quick format, full format, or leave the file system alone. If you chose to leave it alone, it will remove your old XP install from that partition and leave everything else alone, so you end up with a clean install of XP without removing your other files. The repair/upgrade option does not give you a clean install.

Back