Probably a easy question but

Tony Montana

[H]ard|Gawd
I have this computer hooked up over a router to my other computer.. The two computers are on the same workgroup and they see eachother. When i goto the other computer and try to access this computer inside the entire network it wants me to enter a user name and password for this computer... I have never get any passwords for this computer not even log in.. Why does it want?

That happens to me too. Simply leave the password blank and enter the user name (I'm sure thats what you've been doing). I myself am new to networking so I don't really have a real answer.

Enable the guest account. I've had troubles with this before.

And Tony, your sig is waaayyy too long. Limit is 10 lines ;)

im still strugling with this.. any other suggestions? ive done this before, what could have changed?

yeah i just tried it.. its some kind of authentication issue but i dont know crap about setting up a network.. i tried mapping the drive but could really figure out howto do it.. it wasnt visable..

"Connect to [name]" dialog box..

I might this might be happening be i used SMB when i has ubuntu on this computer.. Do you think something might have gotten screwed up?

Ok, let's start from the beginning. Describe your entire network and what each computer has for an OS.

this computer win xp pro
other computer win xp pro

the computers are connected via a d link router 604 i think.. wired.

i ran the networking wizard a while back to connect them (ive never had luck with the wizard) both computers are on the mshome network and they are both visable inside the network section on both machines.. i have a HD on this computer enabled sharing..

the only issue is if i try to go inside this computer from the other computer it wasnts a log in and password.. both computers have single local accounts..

when i go in my computer on this machine i can see the other computer's shares, but when i go on the other computer i cant see this computers default shares..

And shares are set up correctly? Simple Sharing is turned off too?

yes i usually work that way because i want to see the permissions.. its turned on on bother computers i tried it with it turned off on both. something differented happened when it was turned off. on the other computer trying to connect to this one the connection dialog box already had this computer's name in there grayed out it was just asking for a pw

So on the Security tab, Everyone has Full Control?

Edit: Its late, I'm going to get some shut eye. I'll be back on tomorrow.

Add Administrators, SYSTEM, and Users, with full control for permissions. Add CREATOR OWNER and go to Advanced, Apply to Subfolders and files only, and do Full Control.

Have you tried deleting the shares and then recreating the shares from scratch enabling all permissions with read/write etc. no restrictions? That may help.

Back