Probably a dumb question -- drill speed control

starhawk

[H]F Junkie
Thinking about building something again... as with most of my ideas this will probably go absolutely nowhere at all :rolleyes:

I have a drill that I want to rig up as a combination handheld router/mill device and a drill press. It's a cheapish Black&Decker job with a wall cord. I'm picturing my contraption being the drill on a hanger (or similar, doesn't matter) with one of those flexible shafts that has a handle on the end. The handle can be either free-hanging (for the router/mill mode) or snap/buckle/bolt/etc into a drill press "caddy" (for putting holes in things).

But that drill has IIRC exactly two speeds -- on and off. I want it to be variable, because that sounds like something very handy (different speeds for different materials). My idea is to tape the trigger down on the drill and run the power through a dimmer switch that I have spare. It's vintage late 80s but if it can handle it, it can handle it... I think.

That's kinda what I want to find out -- is running a drill off of a dimmer switch (for speed control purposes) a good idea, a good way to break the switch, or a good way to start a fire? (The latter two would most definitely be bad news.)

No, I don't think you'll damage anything, provided the dimmer can handle the amperage rating of the drill. It's not designed to drive motors, though, and I suppose it's possible the electrical noise from the drill (since it's a commutated device) could feed back and damage the dimmer. But the worst you'd see there I think would be that the dimmer would fail-short, leaving your drill on full speed.

Another option, since the motor's likely commutated--it's like a "universal motor" that can run off ac or dc. If you've got a way to supply variable DC voltage at the required current, that might do the trick.

Probably not. I'm not so hot at designing psu's, and I'd rather not buy one.

Just looked on eBay -- I can get a variable speed control for $25 or less. Think I'll probably go for one of those...

If the motor isn't designed to be variable, wont it burn out fairly quickly?

This project is way on the back burner... but to answer your question, I really doubt it.

Back