Pro vs. Home price question...

Hey,
XP Home for $50 or Pro for ~$75...which is a better deal? Both are OEM as far as I know, unregistered keys as well.

For a laptop (pentium m), personal use, if that makes a difference. I use home usually, will I notice anything significantly better about pro? I know a few of the differences, but is there really anything worth the price difference?

Thanks. :)

edit: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx looking here, the only difference I feel that I would use it the remote desktop. is this worth $25 more, or am i missing something else that is worth the price difference?

I would say just go with home. If you need remote administration, there are plenty of free alternatives.

Where are you buying from? I have heard bad things about useing DELL OEM CD's recently. Is that true?

Obi_Kwiet said:
Where are you buying from? I have heard bad things about useing DELL OEM CD's recently. Is that true?

Nothing wrong with it if you're actually a Dell owner and it came with your computer, otherwise it's illegal and you might as well be copying it outright.

XP Home is basically XP Pro with its knees broken and made more "idiot proof" in Microsoft's usual style. You can get around it in some cases and not in others.

I'd say the "multi-processor support" might be of interest in the future since it leads me to be suspicious of Home's support for certain 2CPU-like technologies, plus no XP64 for you if you cared about that. There's a bunch of other stuff too that's not on that list, as MS was just going for the "selling points" but I just woke up and am really foggy at the moment.

Pixeleet said:
Where are you getting xp pro for 75$ ???

Possibly an academic copy if he's eligible for such things.

Then again at many schools (if they're part of MSDN-AA) you can get it for free.

ashmedai said:
Possibly an academic copy if he's eligible for such things.

Then again at many schools (if they're part of MSDN-AA) you can get it for free.

That's where I just downloaded WinXP SP2 Professional from yesterday ;).

Back