Pro Calibration VS. "Suggested Settings" Calibration

xCWolf

[H]ard|Gawd
Title says most of it. Is it worth paying ~$200 for a pro calibration or am I not going to notice a big difference when I use suggested calibration settings without pro level equipment?

"Suggested" settings from a calibration are for that particular TV only. Two of the exact same models of TV with the same settings will measure differently. I don't know where you're going to get a pro calibration for ~$200, all the pro's I've heard of charge in the $400-$500 range. If you're talking about Best Buy's "Pro" Calibration it's best to avoid them. Anyway unless your TV has a hidden service menu/ISF color controls for at least grey scale and 6 color points (RGBCMY), that is if your TV only has Color and Tint options I wouldn't bother. For a little more than $200 you could always DIY it with a i1 Display Pro (D3) meter but the learning curve can be a little steep.

The pro calibration is not worth it. It is calibrated to each of your sources. If you were to replace your cable box, or bluray drive, or upgrade your ps3 to a ps4, you may need to calibrate again.

I bought a Spyder 3 off a slickdeals and followed the DIY method. It was a steep learning curve, and i've probably spent 40 hours on it. My calibration may not be as good as using pro equipment. But it was a night and day difference.

I noticed when i replaced my graphics card on the HTPC, my colors shifted so I had to recalibrate it again.

Title says most of it. Is it worth paying ~$200 for a pro calibration or am I not going to notice a big difference when I use suggested calibration settings without pro level equipment?

As others have said, every set is different and there is no point in entering other people's settings.

For me, the difference between pre and post calibration was huge on all the displays I've calibrated, but it is much better to buy a meter on eBay and do it yourself. There are good guides available, it's not too difficult.

Back