Pro-7800gtx and beyond ported to AGP Petition Nvidia plz read

robberbaron said:
I'm not saying AGP is bad. I think it's pretty cool not only for its time, but also now. But PCI-e does everything AGP does and more at a lower cost. So why again should we stick to AGP forever?

Who said forever, I said until it has actually lived out it's usefulness, it really hasn't. When the proverbial wall has been hit, then move on. Hell, I'd be happy with a 7800 GTX AGP and then after my games start chugging, I am definitely building a PCI-E system.

USMC2Hard4U said:
For all you who love AGP so much, keep loving it. I never said you have to upgrade to PCIe
exactly! this is like the s754 and s939 arguement, each has it's benefits and general market :D

also, you're forgetting about the HTPC people. having that much bandwidth for the video card is going to be a reaaaalllly helpful thing for them :p

Siciliano said:
Who said forever, I said until it has actually lived out it's usefulness, it really hasn't. When the proverbial wall has been hit, then move on. Hell, I'd be happy with a 7800 GTX AGP and then after my games start chugging, I am definitely building a PCI-E system.
socket370 is still useful for some people, but nobody really buys it because no new cpu's are being made for it. ;)

robberbaron said:
I'm not saying AGP is bad. I think it's pretty cool not only for its time, but also now. But PCI-e does everything AGP does and more at a lower cost. So why again should we stick to AGP forever?
Exactly! AGP is still good. its Great! But why keep it around when PCIe can do what AGP can, plus more! plus has years to grow!

Thats what its about, advancement in technology... its a wonderful thing you know. Back in the 80's we had VHS tapes. They do the same thing as DVDs... play movies.... So you still stuck on VHS? Same with Cassattes and CD's.... you still got your 8 track player? They play songs dont they? so why do you use CDs then?

Advancement in technology.....

(cf)Eclipse said:
exactly! this is like the s754 and s939 arguement, each has it's benefits and general market :D
You know the 754 system would be on its way out the door if you didnt have them good mobile processors :)

USMC2Hard4U said:
Exactly! AGP is still good. its Great! But why keep it around when PCIe can do what AGP can, plus more! plus has years to grow!

Thats what its about, advancement in technology... its a wonderful thing you know. Back in the 80's we had VHS tapes. They do the same thing as DVDs... play movies.... So you still stuck on VHS? Same with Cassattes and CD's.... you still got your 8 track player? They play songs dont they? so why do you use CDs then?

You use examples of HUGE advancements in technology, as opposed to something that still doesn't have a superior standing on it yet. I am not even saying what you are thinking, I am just saying, it is stupid for NVidia to phase out of the AGP market now, when, on these paticular cards, performance would be the same across both platforms.

Siciliano said:
You know what I meant :p
hehe, indeed i do, but it appears that the same thing is happening to agp.. i wasn't really around, but i don't think many people hated the switch from pci to agp. this is effectively the same thing :D

This is really stupid and i highly doubt it they are going to make a version of the 7800 in AGP because if they do that you guys will never go PCIE and that means next year they are going to have to put AGP AGIAN! Cause you guys will still have that old AGP from the 7800 and start another thread like this for next year. Time to upgrade! you guys can afford it if i could shit i work at staples and my computer is costing me just about $3500 or a lil more.

The irony is that an AGP 7800 would probably cost the same as a PCI-E motherboard and PCI-e 7800.

cell_491 said:
just let agp go.... remember the good times
Some people are just stuck on their Athlon XP systems and what not... nothing we can do. If they are so hell bent on sticking with their old systems... then they should be hell bent on sticking with their old last gen Video Cards too.

I think AGP should be phased out, but you dont just drop support without a fair warning. That's why I feel AGP should still be supported on this latest generation. What nVidia and ATI need to do is decide when AGP will stop being supported, letting the general public know when AGP will no longer be apart of video cards (at least in the high end market).

To the people saying "GET OVER IT, AGP IS NOW DEAD" you need to realize, the mass majority is still on AGP platforms. Your ignorance to this simple fact is idiotic. Video card manufacturers shouldnt just jump the boat to new technology because "its the next big thing" without letting that fact be known is a moronic business move. They are abandoning profit. Realize that any technological advance should include a transition period, which is still needed for the rest of this year because so many people are on AGP platforms.

Zero

I love it, your all duking it out over something I don't even care about but still started a thread for, this rocks. Keep the rants coming. My take is I don't care at all, because really if it gets done, who cares. I don't, i won't spend 600 on a video card, I will save it for a quad opt system or something. Who knows, maybe a SFF. I think they should invent something newer than PCI-E actually. Just because I want to see the tables turned.

USMC2Hard4U said:
Some people are just stuck on their Athlon XP systems and what not... nothing we can do. If they are so hell bent on sticking with their old systems... then they should be hell bent on sticking with their old last gen Video Cards too.

Jarhead ? Just kidding, always gotta say that to Marines (My old boss was an ex-marine, and always called him that when I wanted to piss him off). On a sidenote, thank you for work protecting our way of living, particularly the work you are doing/did in Iraq.

Just to argue with you a bit...I think the problem is not that people want to stick with old systems, but rather dont have the money to upgrade everything right now. A new video card is the cheapest way to improve gaming, and forcing users to upgrade when the processor they have now is decent enough to handle the latest cards, with so many AGP users, is not fair to the masses. Although, I think this is the last generation before video cards will be completely CPU limited again.'

Zero

Patman said:
I love it, your all duking it out over something I don't even care about but still started a thread for, this rocks. Keep the rants coming. My take is I don't care at all, because really if it gets done, who cares. I don't, i won't spend 600 on a video card, I will save it for a quad opt system or something. Who knows, maybe a SFF. I think they should invent something newer than PCI-E actually. Just because I want to see the tables turned.

new versions of AGP are already in the works. Wont see them for a long time though. PCI Express will undoubtly get updated at least once.

Nvidia will release AGP versions their cards. The G70 is native PCI Express the same way the R520 is native PCI Express. So no shit they released a PCI Express version first. Yes they will push for the move to it, thats why they will not be making anymore native AGP cores, but they will not phase it out. Want to see how fast their earnings crash if they did? Im not sure about Nvidia but ATI invested millions in R&D for Railto, a bridge chip to allow PCI Express cores to be placed on AGP PCBs, Nvidia, im sure, has an answer as well. Stop fretting like kids. If you wanted the 7800GTX now you'd buy the MB. If you are poor but complaining. WHY?

Lets look at the Pros and Cones of both Arguments...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Argument 1, PCI-E:
It can do everything AGP can and more, yet it is currently not much of an advantage over AGP.

Pros:
1. Its going to grow and improve over time, meaning even more bandwidth/futures later.
2. Turbocach cards can use system memory directly, improving the performance of low end cards.
3. Duel video cards (SLI/Crossfire).
4. More power to each PCI-E slot so you don’t have to use up Molex connectors.
5. Can be used for purposes other than video cards.
6. More breathing room in terms of bandwidth.

Cons:
1. Not yet much of an improvement over AGP (Except for SLI)
2. Nothing but video cards currently exists for PCI-E, although it is useful for other applications.
3. No non-SLI or non-Turbocach cards will currently benefit from PCI-E.
4. Still a new format, and has some problems hat need to be worked out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Argument 2, AGP:
Has not yet been used to its full potential, while PCI-E surpasses it in terms of fetures there are currently no "apples to apples" improvements.

Pros:
1. AGP is still more popular (More users have it) than PCI-E.
2. Many users that still have AGP with decent systems will not be forced to change motherboards just to use the latest gen of cards when all their other components are capable.
3. There is still a LOT of breathing room on AGP for cards in terms of bandwidth.
4. If you don’t plan on using SLI/Turbocach cards, there is currently no performance hit.

Cons:
1. No new innovations will be coming to this platform.
2. It does not support anything but video cards.
3. Does not supply as much power to graphics cards as PCI-E
4. Does not allow for multiple video cards (On the AGP bus)
5. Will become a bottleneck for high end cards in the mid-future

Personally, I would like to see AGP stick around for this latest generation, and maybe the next. Lots of people (myself included) just built systems with AGP motherboards that would handle the 7800GTX without issues. Phasing out a standard is not easy to do, but nVidia is going about it far to quickly!

I'm not saying "Kill PCI-E in favor of AGP", I want to see what PCI-E can really do! But until there is something that really makes AGP a bottleneck, I see no point in dumping it altogether.

Unknown-One said:
Lets look at the Pros and Cones of both Arguments...

Argument 1, PCI-E:
It can do everything AGP can and more, yet it is currently not much of an advantage over AGP.

Pros:
1. Its going to grow and improve over time, meaning even more bandwidth/futures later.
2. Turbocach cards can use system memory directly, improving the performance of low end cards.
3. Duel video cards (SLI/Crossfire).
4. More power to each PCI-E slot so you don’t have to use up Molex connectors.
5. Can be used for purposes other than video cards.
6. More breathing room in terms of bandwidth.

Cons:
1. Not yet much of an improvement over AGP (Except for SLI)
2. Nothing but video cards currently exists for PCI-E, although it is useful for other applications.
3. No non-SLI or non-Turbocach cards will currently benefit from PCI-E.
4. Still a new format, and has some problems hat need to be worked out.

Argument 2, AGP:
Has not yet been used to its full potential, while PCI-E surpasses it in terms of fetures there are currently no "apples to apples" improvements.

Pros:
1. AGP is still more popular (More users have it) than PCI-E.
2. Many users that still have AGP with decent systems will not be forced to change motherboards just to use the latest gen of cards when all their other components are capable.
3. There is still a LOT of breathing room on AGP for cards in terms of bandwidth.
4. If you don’t plan on using SLI/Turbocach cards, there is currently no performance hit.

Cons:
1. No new innovations will be coming to this platform.
2. It does not support anything but video cards.
3. Does not supply as much power to graphics cards as PCI-E
4. Does not allow for multiple video cards (On the AGP bus)
5. Will become a bottleneck for high end cards in the mid-future

Personally, I would like to see AGP stick around for this latest generation, and maybe the next. Lots of people (myself included) just built systems with AGP motherboards that would handle the 7800GTX without issues. Phasing out a standard is not easy to do, but nVidia is going about it far to quickly!

I'm not saying "Kill PCI-E in favor of AGP", I want to see what PCI-E can really do! But until there is something that really makes AGP a bottleneck, I see no point in dumping it altogether.

Good post and all true. Except I'd rather look at the Pros and Cons :D

It would be very shortsighted for ATI and nVIDIA to not release AGP versions because they are missing out on the biggest piece of the pie. Installed base of AGP is many orders of magnitude larger than PCI-E. ATI just got hammered for revenue last quarter, they release a AGP version, going to make more money on it based on volume alone than PCI-E even if the margins are smaller due to the need to bridge.

New AGP... BS. Intel threw its weight behind PCI-E, it's the new standard for quite some time. Costs too much to keep hopping around between interfaces.

jhzero1984 said:
Jarhead ? Just kidding, always gotta say that to Marines (My old boss was an ex-marine, and always called him that when I wanted to piss him off). On a sidenote, thank you for work protecting our way of living, particularly the work you are doing/did in Iraq.

Just to argue with you a bit...I think the problem is not that people want to stick with old systems, but rather dont have the money to upgrade everything right now. A new video card is the cheapest way to improve gaming, and forcing users to upgrade when the processor they have now is decent enough to handle the latest cards, with so many AGP users, is not fair to the masses. Although, I think this is the last generation before video cards will be completely CPU limited again.'

Zero

lol you took the words out of my mouth. :)

Athlonxp can play the latest games really good still. A friend of mine has a 9800pro256mb with athlonxp 2500. He can play with everything maxed out completely at 1024 resolution. It looks really nice on bf2. Why do a full dam upgrade if you don't need it. Same goes for the people that have socket 754 amds. Thats why people are complaining. Most likely nvidia and ati will have agp versions. If one company doesn't do it then i know another would since they know theres a market for it. Then the other company will follow since they want a piece of it also. Agp isn't dead yet. Everyone said pci would be dead soon and then it lasted years and years. Agp will die quicker but that this quick.

I am waiting for dual cores to get cheaper.

USMC2Hard4U said:

I built my system around christmas/new years. There were no AMD PCIe boards available. 6 months is hardly enough time to completely phase in AND phase out a system bus. ISA stuck around for what, 5-6 years after PCI was made standard on pretty much every system? DVDs have been available for what, 7-8 years now? And only in the last 2-3 years have I seen a serious tip in the scales to favor DVDs over VHS. Comparing AGP and PCIe right now is more akin to comparing DVD+R and DVD-R...you know which one was left standing between those two? Oh yeah, both!

The 6 months PCIe mobos have been available for AMD only barely qualifies PCIe as standard equipment in my eyes. Anything under 6 months for totally new hardware I consider early adoption, and from previous experience early adoption is a dangerous move to make. Now, give me 3 more years worth of new AGP cards and we'll have a reasonable product phase-in phase-out period. 6 months to phase-in and phase-out is ludicrous.

Additionally why do you care whether AGP hangs around or not? No one is making you continue to use AGP, you're free to use PCIe if you wish. There is no downside to you if people continue using AGP, while there is a downside to them if AGP cards are no longer released. You're making an argument for negative utility (read up on utilitarianism if you're not familiar with it) and that simple fact overshadows any other logical arguments you might make when trying to support your main argument.

(cf)Eclipse said:
hehe, indeed i do, but it appears that the same thing is happening to agp.. i wasn't really around, but i don't think many people hated the switch from pci to agp. this is effectively the same thing :D

PCI to AGP was pretty seamless actly as most of the good cards were add ins so you could still use your PCI 3d card and a AGP POS for 2d or keep using your PCI card till you got AGP

as for now the big problem is that you realy cant get a mobo with BOTH AGP and PCIe
well you can but the AGP side sucks hard as its running off the PCI bus

but yes AGP is on its way out as for new cards i think well see some mid and low end stuff this gen as was the case with PCI when AGP came around but all the high end cards will be PCIe
as for ATi cashing in im not so sure

and in regards to the hypermemory/turbocache thing id like to see it on a high end card that has 256MB on it to start with i think it could be a good way to get a 512MB framebuffer with out the cost of 512MB of local mem
the 6200 is slow not do to the of card mem but to the slow chip on it
it does very well for what it is
AGP also cant right back to mem PCIe CAN this is like (cf)Eclipse said going to be a godsend for HTPC guys

Conker said:
I have a agp system works great in games and now they are forcing everyone to spend another 300 bucks on a new system. They should just make both agp and pci-e. Where is this petition.

No one is forcing you to buy anything. However if you want the latest and greatest that often means changing alot of hardware to support another upgrade. This is not a new concept, nor is this strange.

Its not as bad as Intel throwing new PSU's, new memory and PCI-E at us all at once.

I'd like to see an add in board maker make one of those single SLI boards we've been seing pictures of with an AGP bridge chip so AGP owners can have SLI too. Then we can sit back and watch all of the PCI-e owners cry foul, no fair, I had to upgrade, make them upgrade too,......Boo Hoo Hoo...... :eek:

Conker said:
I have a agp system works great in games and now they are forcing everyone to spend another 300 bucks on a new system. They should just make both agp and pci-e. Where is this petition.
'cause it makes you buy another nvidia chip, the nforce 4 mobo.

robberbaron said:
I guess the increased bandwidth which allows for discreet cards to share system memory isn't an advantage? It allows for cheaper cards since there's less ram on the card.

Also, PCI-e makes SLI possible. If you say that SLI doesn't have a performance boost, maybe you should read more. PCI-e is a great technology.

That said, I've no doubts they'll make a 7800 in AGP. DFI just released their nF3 ultra-d board, afterall.

Give me one current benchmark that shows a clear performance increase RIGHT NOW for PCI-e over AGP?
There isn’t any, because RIGHT NOW there is no performance increase.
Sure you can transfer information across the bus quicker, big damn deal.

They promised to use system ram for AGP also, but the bus is to slow.
Perhaps PCI-e will change that in time, but guess what; system ram is slow as hell compared to GDDR3 on current cards.

Perhaps maybe you need to “read some more” as you are so fond of saying and read my post again.
Maybe then you will see my point that so blatantly went right over your head.
That being that I am IN FAVOR of PCI-e and forward progress but, that this current gen should come out in both flavors as the total move to PCI-e is to fast.

To hell with SLI, I could give two shits about it, it’s about money and nothing more.
Why would I want to spend twice the price on video cards when they can make one card be just as fast?
It is more loot in their pocket to sell two cards.
Why don’t people see that SLI is NOT good for the consumer?
It could make IHV’s lazy in pushing out new tech thinking we can just add another hot buggy card to our cases.

USMC2Hard4U said:
That is not the point... when I was a kid some years ago, If this was then, I would have been with you. But I can think logically now after some expirance.

Advantage right now isnt what we are concerned with. AGP has run its course and was good, lived a long time. Now, something new is here PCIe and at its Birth, its equal to AGP... but its still young, it has room to grow and evolve. AGP has already been their done that.

Do you get my point. One architecture is over now, not because it sucks, but because something new has come along.

I’m sorry but are you flaming me?
Because it seems like you are calling me a kid that has no logic.
Perhaps you should learn to spell, have proper grammar and not be a sarcastic condescending jerk like you do in most of your posts before you flame others.
I am 36 years old and have been a computer enthusiast since 94 and I surely know what I’m doing.

Read my above response to robberbaron and try to wrap your mind around it for one second.

How can anyone not see what this push is about?
It’s about money plain and simple.
It’s not because the new tech is better “RIGHT NOW”.
They are forcing us to buy a new chipset to make more money and anyone who doesn’t see that is sheep.

Yeah, computers are not like rare things people hide in their closets. Millions of computers out there have an AGP slot. In the end, they'll miss out on many $$$$ for this stupid mistake they are making.

People will vote with their dollars. They won't buy and they will suffer if they don't issue new cards with AGP. I can see them being forced to come out with AGP even for the Geforce 8 line.

forumposter32 said:
Yeah, computers are not like rare things people hide in their closets. Millions of computers out there have an AGP slot. In the end, they'll miss out on many $$$$ for this stupid mistake they are making.

People will vote with their dollars. They won't buy and they will suffer if they don't issue new cards with AGP. I can see them being forced to come out with AGP even for the Geforce 8 line.

did ANY one read my last post sure thay may not make a 7800GTX but i think there will be a 7600 and 7200 (guessing names here ok) on AGP the top end cards are not what NV OR ATi make there money on its the midrage and mainstream cards that that sell in lots to the likes of Dell, Compaq, Gateway, and other OEMs the high end is there to SELL the low end
haveing PCIe only on the high end isnt going to hurt them one bit if any thing its going to help there bottem line as thay have one less chip to deal with

(cf)Eclipse said:
also, you're forgetting about the HTPC people. having that much bandwidth for the video card is going to be a reaaaalllly helpful thing for them :p

Actually, in the HTPC market, what's really going to be useful about PCI-E is when HDTV tuner cards become common, and we suddenly find ourselves needing the bandwidth for HDTV data going from the tuner to the CPU to the hard drive, back to the CPU, and then to the video card.

PCI-E has a lot more potential there that old skool PCI doesn't. This is one of those advantages to PCI-E that has nothing to do with video cards explicitly, but makes adopting them that much more attractive.

This was on the FAQ on the Nvidia 7800 site
Q: Will you use HSI to make AGP-based GeForce 7800 boards?
We are not disclosing plans for AGP at this time, but that is certainly possible with the flexibility of our HSI chip.

I really wish this had been posted on the first page. The IHVs are going to produce AGP cards to meet demand, plain and simple. Look at what Nvidia did with the AGP 6600 - do you think they're going to look at all the cash they made there and just ignore it?

jhego said:
This was on the FAQ on the Nvidia 7800 site
Q: Will you use HSI to make AGP-based GeForce 7800 boards?
We are not disclosing plans for AGP at this time, but that is certainly possible with the flexibility of our HSI chip.

cell_491 said:
just let agp go.... remember the good times
I still have my Boot magazine from like July 1997 with an article all about AGP and how amazing it was... It's a shame to see it die after 8 wonderful years.

Jesus, 8 years? Yeah, PCIe, here we come.

Elios said:
did ANY one read my last post sure thay may not make a 7800GTX but i think there will be a 7600 and 7200 (guessing names here ok) on AGP the top end cards are not what NV OR ATi make there money on its the midrage and mainstream cards that that sell in lots to the likes of Dell, Compaq, Gateway, and other OEMs the high end is there to SELL the low end
haveing PCIe only on the high end isnt going to hurt them one bit if any thing its going to help there bottem line as thay have one less chip to deal with

Being that Dell is in bed with Intel in a big way, all their newer machines are probably PCI-E only. Since that's what Intel is pushing. So no room for AGP there. Compaq and HP have made the switch on most of their retail systems. Not sure about Gateway. I do know that many of them are PCI-E already.

well PCI-express is the future for both amd and intel, even PCI-express 2.0 is expected in 2 years, I have an AGP BFG 6800GToc if they'd offer a trade up program i'd do it. I think that a trade up program is a little more feesible (can't spell). Sure AGP was only 8 years but hey this is the computer world how long is certain hardware supposed to last before it's overrun by something that is better? A ported version of the 7800GTX might come in about 1 year (that's my guess).

RazorWind said:
Actually, in the HTPC market, what's really going to be useful about PCI-E is when HDTV tuner cards become common, and we suddenly find ourselves needing the bandwidth for HDTV data going from the tuner to the CPU to the hard drive, back to the CPU, and then to the video card.

PCI-E has a lot more potential there that old skool PCI doesn't. This is one of those advantages to PCI-E that has nothing to do with video cards explicitly, but makes adopting them that much more attractive.
HDTV broadcasts are just up to around 20 megabits/s (2.5MB/s) MPEG-2 video and DD audio streams. PCI-E isn't needed for that. Most modern video cards can decode MPEG-2 streams, even at 1920x1080i, easily.

Decompressing the stream on the CPU to work with full uncompressed video on the video card is a different story: both AGP and PCI-E have enough bandwidth to accept it upstream, but only PCI-E has the bidirectional bandwidth necessary for both upstream and downstream transfer at the same time. If you plan on writing that much uncompressed video at a time to disk, I hope your array can sustain 186MB/s write speed. :p

heh, this arguments sucks lol.

I'd love to move over to the more advanced next gen card--7800 and if it comes out in AGP form, I'll get it. If it doesn't over the next few, I have no choice (of course, there is a choice) but to move over--reluctantly.

IMO, unless there was a legit reason to go PCIE other than marketing BS, I'd love to stay with my current setup.

And to my fellow enlisted fellow--you may want to tone it down. You're a bit on the mean side now :mad:

Sir-Fragalot said:
Being that Dell is in bed with Intel in a big way, all their newer machines are probably PCI-E only.
Or more like:

Since Dell only uses Intel CPUs and current Intel chipsets, which no longer support AGP, all Dell systems with a graphics slot only support PCI-E. ;) That's true for desktop systems, at least. Older systems like the Dimension 3000 with 865GV chipsets don't support PCI-E, but also lack an AGP slot. Many Dell laptops still use pre-PCI-E chipsets (of which several use non-integrated AGP-based graphic chips/modules), but even that's starting to change with lower cost 915GMS chipsets in the Inspiron 1200 and other laptops.

---
PCI-E isn't an Intel conspiracy. AMD chipset makers have embraced it, along with all (surviving) graphic card/chip makers. All other companies are switching to PCI-E because the whole market is movnig that direction. It always causes a little pain and I remember the whining when AGP came out.

tazdevl said:
Good post and all true. Except I'd rather look at the Pros and Cons :D

It would be very shortsighted for ATI and nVIDIA to not release AGP versions because they are missing out on the biggest piece of the pie. Installed base of AGP is many orders of magnitude larger than PCI-E. ATI just got hammered for revenue last quarter, they release a AGP version, going to make more money on it based on volume alone than PCI-E even if the margins are smaller due to the need to bridge.

Actually, the biggest piece of the pie comes from low-end parts - FX5200/MX440 range. The small number of enthusiasts who are willing to spend $600 on a graphics card should also have a little more for a new mobo if they need it.

Even if you're running a s754 A64 3000+ with an agp slot, sell it on the fs/ft forum and put that cash toward the upgrade.

I'd really like to see a comparison of the 7800 against the 6800 on a 3000+ processor. I bet it would be pretty much a dead heat, so people with older systems would do just as well with a 6800 as the 7800.

forumposter32 said:

Take it back, now. It took me 30 min to set this up, take that back.

Problem is, when AGP came about they still, to this day, support PCI cards, and they should do the same with AGP until just right about now when the bandwidth pretty much caps the cards, otherwise why not?

IanG said:
Actually, the biggest piece of the pie comes from low-end parts - FX5200/MX440 range. The small number of enthusiasts who are willing to spend $600 on a graphics card should also have a little more for a new mobo if they need it.

Even if you're running a s754 A64 3000+ with an agp slot, sell it on the fs/ft forum and put that cash toward the upgrade.

I'd really like to see a comparison of the 7800 against the 6800 on a 3000+ processor. I bet it would be pretty much a dead heat, so people with older systems would do just as well with a 6800 as the 7800.

It doesn't matter if the fps wall is the same on both cards, one will be able to handle more AA and AF and higher resolutions as well as possibly a much more constant fps rate in high demand games.

Back