Private Google+ Profiles Are No Longer Allowed

First step on a slippery slope to no privacy. If I wanted that I'd just use facebook.

so it will probably be banned or blocked here in Canada since we have all these new fancy privacy laws...they should spend some time getting chrome browser on android or something useful and productive

they keep this up theyll be the next RIM

Why, it is a service that no one is forcing you to use, wont be banned, plenty of services around that dont let you hide info.

First step on a slippery slope to no privacy. If I wanted that I'd just use facebook.

This makes no sense. Google+ has done a remarkable job of making sure you can set individual privacy settings for EVERYTHING. For example, I enjoy that I can share my phone number... with only my actual friends (in case they lose their phone, etc.).

Google is not going to suddenly start eliminating those privacy options. They don't need to. They have access to all your data regardless of your privacy settings, and that is all they need to target you with ads ;)

I felt like I needed Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn accounts. I don't have that feeling for Google+, perhaps in time.

Isn't it just saying your name is only required to show? I mean, isn't that exactly how FB operates for private pages? Big deal.

Isn't it just saying your name is only required to show? I mean, isn't that exactly how FB operates for private pages? Big deal.

Understanding that would require reading more than the title of this thread. Which is unpossible.

I don't know why everyone is freaking. These people got invited to a BETA TEST. I would expect Google to actually want to test it and they won't even be exposing anyone's info.

This makes no sense. Google+ has done a remarkable job of making sure you can set individual privacy settings for EVERYTHING. For example, I enjoy that I can share my phone number... with only my actual friends (in case they lose their phone, etc.).

Google is not going to suddenly start eliminating those privacy options. They don't need to. They have access to all your data regardless of your privacy settings, and that is all they need to target you with ads ;)

Yeah, people said that about the names and genders too :rolleyes:.

Why do people care when it is ONLY name and gender? That doesn't even include location...

Really the *only* privacy thing I wish they would add would be different profile pictures for different Circles

The way that I see it is that everything will be available but those will be the only required fields. If you choose to enter anything else it becomes property of the entire world.

Yeah wait til marketers abuse the shit out of this.

I was all for this....and then this.

Regardless, I'm probably no more private about who I am or what I do online that anyone else. But to think that I don't have the option. Thats what bothers me. Facebook at least tells me when its making me drop my drawers, Google just assuming I want to run around pantless waiting for a shafting.

We believe that using Google Profiles to help people find and connect with you online is how the product is best used. Private profiles don’t allow this, so we have decided to require all profiles to be public.

If you were going to use Google+ to share pictures and video with your family and wanted to be shut off from the rest of the world, you were not the target demographic

Regardless, I'm probably no more private about who I am or what I do online that anyone else. But to think that I don't have the option. Thats what bothers me. Facebook at least tells me when its making me drop my drawers, Google just assuming I want to run around pantless waiting for a shafting.

Google is assuming nothing. They are leaving the ball in your court. http://www.google.com/support/profiles/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1192471&p=public_profile

You've got it backwards. Facebook just removes your privacy and then informs you. Google is telling you that you have 30 days to make your profile public, they will just delete it for you if you don't.

At least google+ will delete your profile, Facebook fights tooth and nail to not delete your profile and even once deleted if you log back in it reactivates.

At least google+ will delete your profile, Facebook fights tooth and nail to not delete your profile and even once deleted if you log back in it reactivates.
On FB it does not state anything about deleting your profile, just deactivate ;).

I still don't understand how Google thinks it can draw the several hundred million users using facebook away from it.

Ummm, this is no different than FB. Only your name and gender is required to be public. If you didn't want that out there, why bother even creating a profile?

Why do people care when it is ONLY name and gender? That doesn't even include location...

This.

People are just doing the typical thing of reading the headline only and ignoring the entire story.

All that is required to be public is the existence of a profile, basically, *NOT* what is IN the profile. All the data you enter about yourself? That is all still private (or whatever you've picked). Everyone in Google+ already has a public profile (was a requirement of signing up) - none of the early Google+ adopters are affected by this at all. What is required to be public is name and gender, that is it.

And to whoever is talking about advertisers or selling your info - that's just stupid. This clearly has nothing to do with that. Google has that data regardless of whether or not you make your profile public, this change has zero impact on advertising (of course, Google doesn't actually sell your information in the first place, but who cares about facts when it's tin-foil-hat time, amirite?).

memes-scumbag-google.jpg

They haven't even launched the service, this is just to get feedback. I don't understand why so many people can't understand that.

We believe that using Google Profiles to help people find and connect with you online is how the product is best used. Private profiles don’t allow this, so we have decided to require all profiles to be public.

If you were going to use Google+ to share pictures and video with your family and wanted to be shut off from the rest of the world, you were not the target demographic

Incorrect.

Only your name and gender are required to be public. Yes, the profile is public, but EVERY ITEM on it except name and gender can be individually set to public/extended circles/circles/etc. This functionality is built right into the editor...if you're adding your phone number, it has a "privacy" setting right there before you save.

Ummm, this is no different than FB. Only your name and gender is required to be public. If you didn't want that out there, why bother even creating a profile?

I just have to reiterate my question...

How many choices do they offer for "gender"?

So much confusion here. Confirmed that this indeed refers to Google Profiles, which were the predecessor to Google+ profiles. I believe if you sign up for Google+, it converts your existing Google Profile page if you have one.

All of the privacy settings on the Google+ profile page still apply. If you have a Google+ account and tweak those, you'll notice you can make pretty much everything varying degrees of private (from "Only Me" all the way up to "Public"). The only required fields that you cannot do this to are Name and Gender. IIRC, your profile picture may also be public.

At some point people will realize that Google has about a hundred times more info about you than STASI ever had on the people of Eastern Germany, but by that point it will be too late. If Apple is a religion then Google is the communism who tries to destroy religion.

Not even planning on making a Google+ account, but not being able to set your account on private sucks. I do not wish to reveal information about myself on the internet that is made public.

Not even planning on making a Google+ account, but not being able to set your account on private sucks. I do not wish to reveal information about myself on the internet that is made public.

Name and Gender

At some point people will realize that Google has about a hundred times more info about you than STASI ever had on the people of Eastern Germany, but by that point it will be too late. If Apple is a religion then Google is the communism who tries to destroy religion.

True....very true!

Google has more on me than I even probably remember. First, they know all of my info from various filled out forms. Second, they log my internet activity since I stayed logged into my gmail account 24/7 and...use Google Chrome. Third, they have my DNA or at least own the company that does. Fourth, my phone is an Android so they know who I talk to, where I go, etc.

Fifth, they sent me a Google Pill that I took and still have no idea what it was even for. They just gave me a phone upgrade to do it. They're sending me an artificially cloned mutation free wife next week with features based on their newly formed algorithm on my preferences of compatibility and sexual attraction. Oh yeah, she comes with a free one year subscription to Skype so that really makes my heart flutter.

Question: Is this the matrix?

did you RTFA and RTFT?

Unless you are seriously worried about having name and gender out there you don't have anything to worry about.

Back