Privacy Visor Blocks Facial Recognition Tech

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is it really coming to this? How many of you would even wear something like this out in public?

The wearable technology takes privacy measures a step beyond the baseball cap and sunglasses worn by celebrities, or even the asymmetrical face paint and hairstyles proposed by a Web designer studying art at New York University. Instead, it embeds LED lighting inside a pair of commercially available goggles to confuse facial recognition software with dazzling near-infrared light "noise."

If you're the only person wearing that, would that not make you stand out instead? :rolleyes:

As long as it's inconspicuous it could work.
(clicks link)

Nevermind

While we're on this subject, I would definitely recommend to you guys to buy a wallet that blocks the RFID signal from your credit card and debit card.

While we're on this subject, I would definitely recommend to you guys to buy a wallet that blocks the RFID signal from your credit card and debit card.

never mind that,pay cash for everything.....the "man" can track you by your credit card purchases..:)

Nothing says, "Over here! Look at me!" like a privacy visor full of LEDs. It looks like a great way to attract attention to yourself. I have a much better, more cost effective answer:

4150517085_32d080aa43.jpg

Though it is funny that this is being done specifically to counteract Google's Glass junk. I can't understand why people wouldn't implicitly trust Google to do only good, life-enriching things with all the information it gathers. They do claim the company mantra is "Do no evil," or something along those lines.

This reminds me of a criminal from 80 or so years ago that paid a surgeon friend of his to transplant skin from his stomach to his fingertips to hide his fingerprints. What he didn't think about was that the palm of the human hand also makes distinctive marks that, while you wouldn't use it to identify someone, would tell investigators that there was definitely a handprint there. A handprint that had no fingerprints. And considering he was the only one to have no fingerprints, it was really easy to link him to the crimes.

That's what comes to mind when I see something like this.

meh, this is so last season of White Collar - at least in the show White Collar they put the LEDs in the hat brim and it at least looked better. :rolleyes:

well I'm used to either wearing a bag over my head or being with a girl with a bag over hers, so this just seems gimmicky and overpriced.

would this concept work with LEDs that emits light outside of the visible range (maybe IR?)?

If you read the article, you would see that they are using near infra-red LEDs, so it IS outside the visible spectrum. They likely just either used visible LEDs or photoshop for emphasis in the picture. There would actually be no visible light there.

This looks like it's designed to oversaturate the sensors of the camera, so it can't distinguish a face. The issue I can see with this from an effectiveness standpoint is that it will only work on cameras that an actually pick up NIR light. If a camera uses visible light, or the sensor does not pickup NIR light, the camera will see your face just fine, and you are just looking stupid for no reason.

If future electronic billboards bombard me with advertising based on face-recognition/profiling software I'd wear a future revision of this.... as long as it isn't absolutely hideous.

If you read the article, you would see that they are using near infra-red LEDs, so it IS outside the visible spectrum. They likely just either used visible LEDs or photoshop for emphasis in the picture. There would actually be no visible light there.

Or the LEDs are doing what they're supposed to do by showing up on a camera's image which might make PS editing or design changes not necessary.

I already wear a welder's mask everywhere.

But for some reason, every time I go to the bank the Police show up.

This has been written about in Cyberpunk literature for over 15 years. It would stop the planned targeted advertisements and annoy the hell out of a lot of agencies.

LED don't work, not bright enough. You need to use a IR laser diode. It blinds any camera. Doesn't matter how good their "IR filter" is. It works awesome on license plates and I've even considered adding a couple to each corner of my windshield.

I wouldn't put them anywhere near my eyes though not like this.

I read the article and the way they relate Google Goggles to facial recognition software and pulling up a persons identity and info about them... reminded me a FUCK TON of Watch Dogs.

You guys see this game? It looks all kinds of holy shit awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcMRkyoHKeA

Nice! I like how he care about the passenger even tho he created that mess. lol.

Oh well, can't wait til we get anti-snoop tech to counter that.

Just shoot the f-nk CCTV cameras, with a ski mask on. Stupid technology. (sent from Asus Transformer Prime ;))

he issue I can see with this from an effectiveness standpoint is that it will only work on cameras that an actually pick up NIR light. If a camera uses visible light, or the sensor does not pickup NIR light, the camera will see your face just fine, and you are just looking stupid for no reason.

If more artfully hidden (the Oakley M-Frames I wear when running/biking could probably have them hidden in the frame/behind the lens easily enough,) and bright enough to actually be more than just a bunch of dots, this might work.

Also, most cameras do pick up NIR - point your TV remote at a camera (your cell phone camera, or laptop webcam, for example,) and press the button. You'll see faint blinking. Most cameras pick up NIR *VERY* lightly though, so it would take very powerful LEDs to do any serious overpowering.

Back