Prison Computer ‘Glitch’ Blamed for Opening Cell Doors

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Florida Correctional officials are investigating a possible computer glitch that has twice opened all the doors simultaneously in the maximum security wing of Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center in Miami, Florida. Looks like the system was designed by the same company that make the keyless hotel door locks. :D

It’s the second time in two months that all of the doors in the wing opened at once, officials say, raising questions about whether the first incident was a trial-run to see how long it would take guards to respond.

That's not a glitch. Someone just made the wrong touchpad gesture while trying to find an invisible charm in the newly loaded prison operating system.

How long before this happens on a global scale and we're thrown headlong into pandemonium? :eek:

Perhaps there are some things better left manually operated, and only monitored electronically.

Though if hardware and software manufacturers were held at least partly responsible for faults in the products themselves, such as shoddy coding or craftsmanship (normal wear and tear would be the customer's problem unless proven otherwise), then these things might become more of a rarity. In cases of poor installation, the burden of responsibility would then fall upon the installer. True some variables are nearly impossible to account for, especially if they're working in conjunction with other systems, but there again, things should be thoroughly tested and verified before deployment. Yes costs would go up, but failures and their consequences would go down.

IMO if this were to happen in a max security facility, it would be the same as a life threatening mission critical failure.

The issue is that too many manufacturers these days release half baked products, and the consumer often gets burned in the end. This is especially software industry.

Whatever happened to pride in one's work and accountability?

/rambling

5-dredd-071912.jpeg

This is Judge Dredd. I am the law.

Return to your cells or prepare to be judged.

opening cell doors to let the prisoners gank one another. Good way to deal with the overcrowding.

I drive by there all the time... I would believe operator error

How long before this happens on a global scale and we're thrown headlong into pandemonium? :eek:

Perhaps there are some things better left manually operated, and only monitored electronically.

Though if hardware and software manufacturers were held at least partly responsible for faults in the products themselves, such as shoddy coding or craftsmanship (normal wear and tear would be the customer's problem unless proven otherwise), then these things might become more of a rarity. In cases of poor installation, the burden of responsibility would then fall upon the installer. True some variables are nearly impossible to account for, especially if they're working in conjunction with other systems, but there again, things should be thoroughly tested and verified before deployment. Yes costs would go up, but failures and their consequences would go down.

IMO if this were to happen in a max security facility, it would be the same as a life threatening mission critical failure.

The issue is that too many manufacturers these days release half baked products, and the consumer often gets burned in the end. This is especially software industry.

Whatever happened to pride in one's work and accountability?

/rambling

Contracts being awarded to the lowest bidder happened. You get what you pay for is true in most things in life.

You are failing to understand one aspect of prison facilities. NO ONE CARES. The administration can be made aware of all sorts of vulnerabilities, and they do nothing, or half assed attempts to do something. I know, ive been doing this shit for 15 years. Whether its broken bars, windows that blow out during a wind storm. lights that dont work that led to an escape, keys missing and no lockdown of the facilities, etc. etc. etc.

The public needs to understand something:
CONVICTS make the state money through federal grants.
EMPLOYEES cost the state money.
They dont give a shit about the public or the employees. In most cases they are so woefully behind in technology its akin to having 150mph cars, but no one has ever seen a car before.. Most employees are encouraged to be lazy and say nothing for fear of retaliation, and most supervisors dont want to be bothered and promote the dont make waves attitude. The only thing employees can do is document it to cover their own ass. Welcome to reality.

whatever they paid the guards to open the doors was a waste since they failed their shanking attempt

Supposed CCTV footage of said incident...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpzzyH44j6k
Thats fucked up. I know in NYS that the max prisons have wire mesh over the rails to keep inmates from throwing others over the side, also helps in keeping them from throwing burning items over also, lol. Weird seeing a max prison having open rails like that.

With how that one inmate came out anticipating it to happen it seems like it was setup buy a guard(s) in hopes of someone being taken out, or they were paid. I sure hope they investigate this more with an outside company who may not be on the "payroll".

Except that ED209 goes nuts and shoots innocent people. Judge Dredd may or may not be nuts but he never shoots innocent people. ;)

I don't remember that sweet robot shooting anyone innocent

ed209-18.jpg

Hardly any pink skins in there lol. Is this a jail for black people only?
Speaking from NYS prison system perspective only, most of the prisons are like that here.

Hardly any pink skins in there lol. Is this a jail for black people only?
in southern states especially racial minorities are overrepresented in the prison populations

guess they dont have wow type security system, the little dongle that generate a key based on the current time.

Except that ED209 goes nuts and shoots innocent people. Judge Dredd may or may not be nuts but he never shoots innocent people. ;)

of course he doesn't because as judge and jury he always finds them guilty BEFORE pulling the trigger

nice catch 22 there =>_<=

It's in Miami... and it's a county jail so it's for people awaiting trial or with sentences of 364 days or less

statistics are available here:

http://www.miamidade.gov/idwdashboard/statistics.pdf
yes, florida is considered a southern state :|

you can verify wiki's data with official census data
2010 racial composition - black: 19% in Miami, 18% in Miami-Dade county, and 16% total florida

yet they comprise over 50% of the prisoner population in the county jail

Miami is not a southern city at all... 19% black and 70% hispanic

you have to go north of WPB to enter "the south"

additionally "The City of Miami" is not "Miami"

Miami is Miami-Dade, as in the county... a lot of Miami-Dade is unincorporated

TGK (the jail in question) is in Miami

the suggestion was made since the jail is in florida/the south they jail more blacks...

we don't have a sheriffs department here full of "good ol' boys" like the rest of the south probably does...

and like I said, TGK is mostly for people waiting for trails... not some max security prison as implied in the OP

I merely stated that southern states have more disproportionate levels of black prisoners than non-southern states

that does not mean if a city is in the south (or the north) it "jails more blacks"

it means that southern states jail black offenders at a rate higher than their populations
this is fact. not my problem if that hurts your pride for whatever reasons

if you're more interested in learning about the research on the topic then you're more than welcome. start here: http://www.asanet.org/images/press/docs/pdf/ASARaceCrime.pdf

if you're still interested after reading that then I can give you some book titles (some of which I've authored)

I don't have any patience arguing with people on a forum, however

I don't have any patience arguing with people on a forum, however

Seriously? There's an easy answer to this question that you're overlooking. Because there is a lot more sunlight in the south and people aren't as educated, they don't buy sunscreen. Therefore, people get darker skin and it looks like more people are black.

I can't believe you're even arguing about this and it's even worse when you say that you don't argue. Then both of you overlook the totally obvious fact that there's sun and no one goes to school there.

Back