Printing from Vista to a Shared XP Printer

Daynja

Weaksauce
I have an old HP deskjet 940c that worked fine as a shared printer when the client computer was windows xp. Now I got a new computer and the client computer is windows vista. I can easily get it print from the vista computer (I have to type in a user name and password when I add the printer) but if either computer is restarted, the vista computer can not print anymore. The host computer has always been windows xp pro. Deleting and adding the printer everytime one of the computers restarts is getting old. Is there any way for it to just work every time?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum...this is driving me insane.

Supposedly I could get this to work by following this procedure:

Start > Control Panel > User Accounts. This should take you to the User Accounts control panel and default to showing the properties of your current user.
On the left side you should have a task called “Manage your network passwords,” click on that.
Click Add.
In the “Stored Credentials Properties” enter the name of the server (e.g. myserver1) or domain (e.g. mycomanyname.com) in the “Log on to” field.
Fill out the User name and Password fields, leave “A Windows logon credential” checked, and click OK.

Except the "A Windows logon credential" option is grayed out and not available. Awesome.

Back