Printers via Remote Desktop

dbwillis

[H]F Junkie
Im stumped on this one....
I have a customer in New Hampshire, running Win7 Pro in a workgroup, her company just got purchased by a company in CT.
I have her connecting to the CT office via OpenVPN, then running RDP to connect to a Win7 Pro virtual machine, so that she can use Quickbooks and IM with the folks there.
the problem is, she has (2) USB Brother printers (Brother – HL – 5150D Series, Brother – HL – 3040CN series)
they do not show up in the RDP session.
Ive even manually installed the printers in her VM using a COM port and naming it 'Test' so that the drivers are installed.
Ive confirmed the printers option is checked, even had her uncheck, save, recheck, save, reconnect with no luck

Ive tested this on 3 machines myself (including 1 over OpenVPN) and my printers connect.

Anyone have any ideas?

ah, thanks for the tip on printer pooling on the local printer......

What tip? This is interesting, may I ask how you resolved the issue?

nah, didnt workm, it was adding the printer pooling option on the local printer, then adding LPT1 (or another) to the local usb printer, then in the rdp session, add the same printer, but use LPT1, didnt work though

What VM software are you running? Is the VM connecting to the printer on the host machine using the host machine as a virtual print server? That's usually the easiest way to set it up.

Nope, the VM is connecting through the 'local resources' tab, Printers check box, in Remote Desktop client.
She is on th elatest RDP client as well
I tested again today, Im able to add a test local printer (chose some Fuji built in driver on on Com1) to my laptop, connect OpenVPN, connect RDP, the printer shows up in the VM.
- so its not the OpenVPN blocking it
- its not the RDP client
Today I had her send me a bunch of screenshots....noticed in her firewall/network section, the network name was xxxx 5G, I asked her if she is on cellular.....

The VM runs on 2012 server under HyperV (there are 4 VM's on a raid 10 SSD setup, 3x Win7 x64, 1x 2008R2)

I'm watching this because I have a similar issue where I have OpenVPN setup with bridging so it should appear like I'm on my local network but I can't use TightVNC to control another computer on the lan.

Be sure and click the ports box on the local resources tab. The other things to check is if the client printer port is remapped to the RDP session on the server in the cmd prompt.

Every one of the printer redirection issues that I have dealt with have had different fixes but since I dealt with one in particular in which nothing helped to keep from printing garbled text, I tend to set up google cloud printing and be done with it. Printer redirection is a huge time suck. There is one handy trick where you install the same driver and give it the same name on the host as it is on the client but its port needs to be print to file. This mostly worked in printing from an XP/2003 host and 7 client though.

This is Win7 client to Win7 client, no server OS involved.
Ive tried the manual install of the printer on the virtual PC, set to a LPT1 port, then adding the print pooling option on the remote/users PC, no luck though.

She is on MetroCast Cablevision, WIfi, 5G connection
Ive checked the printers box several times, even sent her the RDP file via TXT lines and walked her through saving it, and checking it, no luck
Im thinking its due to her cellular connection

OK, reread all my posts on this topic.
------------Im now wearing a large dunce cap

Remote OS was Win 10 Pro x64, NOT WINDOWS 7 PRO x64
Installed a Windows 10 x64 VM, tested, printers connect
my bad, I had this lady confused with another lady who was on Win7, I only noticed this last night looking at her screenshots she had sent me like 2 weeks ago.
:banghead:

:banghead: is the perfect emoticon - I need at least a dozen of those per day. Glad it's sorted out! Much fun from differing host and client versions.

OK, reread all my posts on this topic.
------------Im now wearing a large dunce cap

Remote OS was Win 10 Pro x64, NOT WINDOWS 7 PRO x64
Installed a Windows 10 x64 VM, tested, printers connect
my bad, I had this lady confused with another lady who was on Win7, I only noticed this last night looking at her screenshots she had sent me like 2 weeks ago.
:banghead:

Don't you hate it when you get so technically involved in the issue you fail to notice the glaringly obvious fact literally staring you in the face! Happens to the best of us.

I'm watching this because I have a similar issue where I have OpenVPN setup with bridging so it should appear like I'm on my local network but I can't use TightVNC to control another computer on the lan.

I know this is an old thread, but in case someone finds this my issue has been resolved. I upgraded to OpenVPN 2.4 and started using elliptic curve crypto which has much smaller keys. I think the size of the keys was somehow affecting TightVNC. It just started working with the new setup.

Back