Princess of Persia (LapTop Mod) PICs!!!

ZygoatD

Weaksauce
ok, I think this is my first mod posted on [H]. I have a few pics of my main rig in the workstation treads.

anyway, this is a laptop mod for my girlfriend. i promised her i would do a custom paint job for her. i let her pic the colors, and helped her with the scheme. it is going to be a red metallic, with a few special touches.

before pics.

P6090889.jpg

P6090894.jpg

P6090901.jpg

P6090900.jpg

P6090899.jpg

add a little interweb magic and POOF!

P6090925.jpg

masking off.

P6090887-1.jpg

P6090888.jpg

P6090889-1.jpg

P6090893-1.jpg

now i have to prep it for paint.:( but at least i am almost there. and prep is the most important part.

ill be working on this regularly,

STAY TUNED

im interested to see how this turns out, i have plans to do some visual mods to my Dell laptop some point in the near future.

Let me know what kinda paints you use primer/color/clear and if you like the way they turn out.

I have that exact same laptop, haha.
Well actually I got the V2555us model with a Sempron 1.4ghz CPU but upgraded it to the Turion 64 2.00ghz later on :)

I always wanted to rip it apart like that and install a new GPU in it as well but never got around to it. That machine has been working hard for a good 4 years now and is still strong running Windows 7 now, haha

GL with the paint job

I have that exact same laptop, haha.
Well actually I got the V2555us model with a Sempron 1.4ghz CPU but upgraded it to the Turion 64 2.00ghz later on :)

I always wanted to rip it apart like that and install a new GPU in it as well but never got around to it.
Well you better be really good at soldering. ;) Those GPU's are really in there.

OP, good luck with the paint!

Im surprised the thing still works all of the laptops from that line we have had at my Job have all but died hope this one doesnt share the same fate. I love laptop mods so ill have to keep an eye out on this one.

well everything is prep'd for paint. except the back cover, which will require more work because of the existing compaq logo.

here is a teaser pic of whats to come.

P6100886.jpg

i suppose i should explane the symbolism.

first off her name is sara (which means princess in Farsi) so princess of Persia (also ties into the game prince of Persia, and i am a nerd so that makes me happy.):cool:

she is half Persian. so that makes sense. but she was born and raised in america.

some of her family was here recently, from Persia, and they brought her a necklace.

P6100891.jpg

This heavily influence my design. this is one of there gods (Ahura Mazda, god of fire). so i took the basic shape and grafted the cia eagle head on to the top (the american part of her). the text in the chest is her name written in Farsi.

so thats the basics, there is more in depth stuff, but i think that is enough of a Sociology lesson for one day.

STAY TUNED

COLOR

P6110887.jpg

P6110888.jpg

just the first round but its always nice when you start to see color.

curious, did you sand the plastic body at all and use primer, of just the color coat?

If its just the color coat i must say it looks dam good.

sanded with a red scuff pad, and 600 grit in places (like the logos) then adhesion promoter (first time i've used this stuff, its supposed to be a primer too) im not happy with the outcome where it was sanded with 600 grit, so i will probably sand those areas again then prime then re- paint. it will only make it look better in the end so im ok with it.

but basically over the main body of it it is just color coat over that clear "primer" scuffed with the red scuff pad.

Last edited:
Yea, I would think you would need to sand with 300 grit, then 600, then 900 to get what you're looking for.

Great job for showing us how its done on laptops!

Are you using plastic paint or vinyl dye for the case?

no, normal automotive spray paint. i have a compressor and gun for ¨true¨ auto paint but you can make this look dam near as good at a fraction of the cost.

this is duplicolor metal speck. its $$$ for spray paint but worth it.

thanks for all the complements!

Half-Persian? From all the Iranians I've met they're pretty strict on their daughters marrying other Persians X.x
Haha, but that's super cool that she's retaining her heritage and customs even though she's only half and was raised here in America! Can she still speak Farsi?
Subscribed because I want to see the finishing product ^^

her dad is Persian. he moved here to go to college and then just stayed.

she can't but her dad is fluent.

Ooo~ she should study and pick it up! It's a very fascinating language ^^
Can't wait to see how it'll turn out (the laptop)

UPDATE!

i pryed the compaq logo off

(sorry compaq)
P6140890.jpg

P6140892.jpg

now i just need to find some high flexibility filler to fill up the recess and get it all nice and smooth.

i did the same with the slot card cover. i scraped the compaq logo off with a flat blade razor then i filled the low spots with jb weld (i use this alot on things that are ridged and wont move around much, its super strong, holds great, and it very easy to get super smooth.) then i ran over the top of the whole thing with glazing compound. sanded the whole lot down with 600grit.

(sorry compaq)
P6150900.jpg

im planning on using this little baby as the test bed for the next phase of this project.(its all painted too, just no pics of it)

after the set back, with the scratches and some of the symbols bleeding through, i sanded down all the trouble spots (in some place back to bear plastic. then went back through the whole process. adhesion promoter, primer sealer, color coats, and now even some clear.

here it is with a few coats of clear on it.

P6160902.jpg

P6160904.jpg

if you can see on the right hand side first pic (the cottonwood seed) those things have been the bane of my existence during this project. so i need to do a few more coats of clear after i do a few other things (which now includes fixing all those little f ers). hopefully i will be able to get the rest of it done in my garage and avoid any more of those dam seeds.

thats about it for now.

STAY TUNED

Last edited:
well, work has proceeded with the test subject.

i forgot to take a pic, but basically i masked it off much like the pic of the lid above, only i cut out the logo. then i applied a gilding adhesive.

here is how it looks after the masking is removed.

P6160898.jpg

applying the gold leaf

P6160899.jpg

after quite a bit of brushing and scraping off the undesired bits.

P6170900.jpg

couldn't resist taking it out in the sun for a few shots.

P6170903.jpg

P6170905.jpg

you can see the main body has the first round of clear coat on it, the expansion card is ready for clear now, then pin striping, then more clear...

were getting there tho.

STAY TUNED!

Last edited:
well, im back. got hit with a lot of stuff in life so i had to take a step back from this for a while. but i should be finishing it up soon.

filled the compaq logo, as well as the detail that ran around the outside of the lid.

P6190898.jpg

i ended up having to sand and fill the different areas several times. but here it is primed for the THIRD time, and it is finally flat and smooth and ready for paint.

P8270008.jpg

color coat. several layers thick (to be color sanded)

P8290009.jpg

color sanded and masked off for the logo to be gold leafed.

P8290011.jpg

adhesive applied. (it tends to wick along the straight edges where the different pieces of tape meet up. seen big time on the left wing, and the tail.)

P8310014.jpg

adhesive removed with a little alcohol. ready for gold leaf.

P8310015.jpg

gold leaf applied

P8310018.jpg

i plan on pin striping the edges and details. this will be my first time pin striping so we will see how that goes. (it was my first time with gold leaf as well, and i think that turned out alright.)

then it is clear coat, wet sand and polish.

STAY TUNED!

Very, very nice. Looking forward to viewing the finished product!

PS Lucky girlfriend :p

i applied the pin stripping a few days ago. I think it came out alright, especially for my first time doing it. i definitely have a new found respect for those guys you see on tv who make it look easy!

pin stripping applied

P9190016.jpg

(the smudges are just finger marks from me positioning my hands while applying the pin stripping).

clear coat. (actually about 8 coats)

P9200020.jpg

(not the best lighting but its dark out now and im too lazy to set up lights.)

another piece ( top of keyboard area) that was ready for clear so i shot it at the same time.

P9200019.jpg

i need to re-clear the main body as it was too thin and i went through it while wet sanding. after that everything will be wet sanded and polished and re-assembled.

STAY TUNED!

The gold leaf looks much better now it's been pinstriped and clear-coated.

clear coat wet sanded.

P9230013.jpg

more pin stripping. (the last of it, to finish out the design.)

P9230014.jpg

another one to give a better idea of how the gold really looks.

P9230014-1.jpg

now its ready for final clear, wet sand, polish. (does anyone hear an echo?)

Nice. I can't wait to see it all put together and finished, as I've got the same laptop that has been sitting. Got it from my younger brother because it was completely destroyed; someone stomped all over it.

Fixed it all up and it's good as new. All it needs is new wires for the wireless card as someone ripped them off the card, as they forgot to remove them when they apparently tried to take the broken screen off.

I shall wait to see the finished product!

so did you paint the trackpad? wont that screw up the tracking?

oh silly me! thats the filler card on the computer that i thought was the trackpad. haha! anyway nice work. how does she feel about not being able to use her laptop for months? :)

Nice work. Looking forward to see how it shines in the sun once you're finished.

final final final final clear (i know i said i was done before, but the clear coat got contaminated, and had to be sanded and sprayed again)

here is a little teaser pic of how it will look put together. (the panel is nice and straight)

PA010015.jpg

STAY TUNED!

ITS DONE!

PA050035.jpg

PA050041.jpg

PA050036.jpg

PA050037.jpg

PA050050.jpg

PA050051.jpg

PA050045.jpg

PA050019.jpg

overall i think it came out pretty well. only small issue i had was that the wireless card was not completely seated at first and so the internet would not work. that was simple enough to diagnose and repair. everything else works great. (not even any "extra" parts!)

sorry there are no "out in the sun" pics the weather was not cooperating.

hope you guys liked it and were able to get something out of it.

let me know what you think.

for the first time ill say

GO WATCH SOMETHING ELSE!

ps. yes... she likes it :cool:

Back